Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Frequent and prolonged bouts of nausea?

(12 Posts)
QuinoaLenghi Sat 06-Jun-15 17:05:21

Does anyone know what might cause very frequent bouts of nausea?

I have suffered from this for most of my adult life. Every few days I feel really sick. Sometimes I wake up with it, sometimes it developes later in the day. Sometimes it's just a background feeling. Sometimes I feel v close to vomiting.

I've always dismissed it as it never (or v v rarely) developed into vomiting. Occasionally I get an upset bowel too but not every time. For ages I thought it was an anxiety thing as I get nauseous when anxious but actually I'm rarely anxious but often nauseated.

I can't think of specific food triggers. It's worst when tired but that's about the only pattern. I think it might be worse after fatty foods too and caffeine.

DH wants me to get it checked as some days I have to lie down until it passes.

I just wondered whether anyone has any ideas.

poisonedbypen Sat 06-Jun-15 17:10:22

have you had your ears checked out? a friend had this & her ears were full of wax.

Superworm Sat 06-Jun-15 20:45:51

I had frequent nausea episodes before being diagnosed with coeliac disease...

QuinoaLenghi Sat 06-Jun-15 22:27:29

Thanks both. Hadn't thought of ears but worth checking. My daughter has coeliacs.... it never occurred to me to get checked too.

badg3r Sat 06-Jun-15 22:36:41

Are you on the pill?

Superworm Sat 06-Jun-15 22:56:03

They recommend all first degree relatives are checked if Coeliacs runs in the family. It increases to a 1:10 chance patient.info/health/coeliac-disease-leaflet

I was diagnosed in my 30's but had symptoms for a long time.

QuinoaLenghi Sat 06-Jun-15 22:59:26

I'm not on the Pill no. But when nausea first became a feature of my life I was.

Superworm - coeliacs runs in my husband's family so I have always assumed that's the generic cause of my daughter having it but I will investigate. If I did have to go gluten free at least my daughter would be happy!

QuinoaLenghi Sat 06-Jun-15 22:59:56

Oops "genetic" not "generic"

Superworm Sat 06-Jun-15 23:09:03

Definitely worth checking. Transient nausea was my main symptom really. Had it on and off for years, would even wake me a night sometimes. Occasion diarrhoea too but not always. I'm the only coeliac in my family so never occurred to me it would be food related.

Aquamarine70 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:03:20

Excess acid can cause nausea. Probably best to get checked out.

MaryhadalittleDamn Sun 07-Jun-15 08:14:48

Yes, you may be a celiac or gluten intolerant. I suffered the same symptoms as you, especially feeling nauseous several times a day. I cut out wheat/gluten and feel loads better. It also stops that acid indigestion and I can lie on my back at night now too.

mousmous Sun 07-Jun-15 08:16:30

are you diabetic?
low blood sugar can cause nausea as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now