Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painful, swollen ankle with pins & needles

(3 Posts)
BishopBrennansArse Thu 04-Jun-15 22:11:51

About six weeks ago my right ankle suddenly started to swell. I'd not injured it in any way. So I put my foot up and iced it and rested it and the swelling reduced slightly.

A couple of days later I had to unavoidably spend a lot of time on my feet. Despite frequent rests and putting it up I was in a lot of pain that evening, my ankle ballooned and so did my foot and started to go purple. So I went to my local minor injuries unit where they did an X-ray as they thought I might have a stress fracture. On examination of the X-ray there wasn't a fracture seen so they told me I must have sprained it and forgotten injuring it - that wasn't the case at all, I haven't injured it.

I was issued crutches and told to spend time with my foot up, resting it and using ice which I did. I can't take anti inflammatory medication due to kidney problems I have. So I took paracetamol.

From the resting it went down a bit, but remained a little swollen. I was able to get about without using the crutches but was still having to put my foot up and ice it every evening to stop it ballooning to the state it was in when I ended up at the hospital. It has blown up badly several times since so I then visited my GP three weeks after all this started (three weeks ago now) and she has referred me to musculo skeletal.

I chased the referral yesterday, it's somewhere in the system. Only today with the heat it's worse than ever. I can't walk on it properly at all and despite ice, rest, paracetamol and putting ibuprofen gel on it (last resort for me due to kidneys). I have shooting pain right up the outside of my calf and pins and needles in my foot. I'm in so much pain I don't know what to do with myself.

I just don't know what to do, could be weeks before I see anyone from musculo skeletal, I am in the system for help but I'm at the limit pain relief wise for me.

Should I bandage it? I've tried that before but it hurts even more when compressed.

I do have hypermobility, by the way.

BishopBrennansArse Mon 08-Jun-15 18:59:27

Bump
Today the swelling is really bad. Can feel it straining against the bandage. Should I keep the bandage on or remove it? So painful.
Had a call from surgery, referral wasn't done properly so have to wait for it to get there

Tomuchcake Mon 08-Jun-15 19:33:03

Take the bandage off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now