Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a pelvic MRI done?

(4 Posts)
nikki1978 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:09:04

Just a few questions for those in the know smile How long did it take? Did you go completely into the machine or just the bottom half of you?

MountainDweller Thu 04-Jun-15 22:20:45

Mine was about 20 mins actually inside machine but allow extra time for undressing and getting in position. I went in feet first so my head was left sticking out, so didn't feel claustrophobic. It is noisy btw!

grapejuicerocks Thu 04-Jun-15 23:14:36

My pelvis and a bit further up, were scanned. I was completely in the machine. It took a long time but was fine in itself. My torment was how big the cancerous tumour was going to be. The scan was fine. My emotions weren't.

Thymeout Fri 05-Jun-15 14:02:12

I was down for a pelvic, but when I told the technician that the tumour extended into my abdomen, he decided to do an abdo as well.

The two together took about 40 mins. I was completely in the machine, but I think Mountain's experience is the best guide for you. They play a CD to take your mind off things. You can choose or bring your own. There's a fan to cool things down - mine was on the hottest day of the year.

It wasn't mentally as bad as I was expecting. You have a panic button you can press. I did have to do that, 5 mins, before the end but that was because the tumour was putting a strain on my tummy muscles and they were beginning to hurt. i was afraid I was going to faint. They responded immediately and were very kind. I couldn't move, but just having a little break was enough for me to be able to finish.

If you're having a lot of investigations/appointments, and you've got a sympathetic GP, a one-off prescription for valium is a godsend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now