Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had a pelvic MRI done?

(4 Posts)
nikki1978 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:09:04

Just a few questions for those in the know smile How long did it take? Did you go completely into the machine or just the bottom half of you?

MountainDweller Thu 04-Jun-15 22:20:45

Mine was about 20 mins actually inside machine but allow extra time for undressing and getting in position. I went in feet first so my head was left sticking out, so didn't feel claustrophobic. It is noisy btw!

grapejuicerocks Thu 04-Jun-15 23:14:36

My pelvis and a bit further up, were scanned. I was completely in the machine. It took a long time but was fine in itself. My torment was how big the cancerous tumour was going to be. The scan was fine. My emotions weren't.

Thymeout Fri 05-Jun-15 14:02:12

I was down for a pelvic, but when I told the technician that the tumour extended into my abdomen, he decided to do an abdo as well.

The two together took about 40 mins. I was completely in the machine, but I think Mountain's experience is the best guide for you. They play a CD to take your mind off things. You can choose or bring your own. There's a fan to cool things down - mine was on the hottest day of the year.

It wasn't mentally as bad as I was expecting. You have a panic button you can press. I did have to do that, 5 mins, before the end but that was because the tumour was putting a strain on my tummy muscles and they were beginning to hurt. i was afraid I was going to faint. They responded immediately and were very kind. I couldn't move, but just having a little break was enough for me to be able to finish.

If you're having a lot of investigations/appointments, and you've got a sympathetic GP, a one-off prescription for valium is a godsend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: