Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe PMS - what can help?

(12 Posts)
Halfpint76 Tue 02-Jun-15 09:49:10

Just that really, I notice my PMS is getting worse as I get older (nearly 40) and since having my children. I get incredibly weepy, touchy and angry to the point I just want to scream! I feel terrible as I know I shout at my older son more than necessary for little things. It's not fair on him or the rest of the family, I need to get it under control. What have you found helps? Thanks

hudyerwheesht Tue 02-Jun-15 13:35:51

Have you tried natural remedies like agnus castus, evening primrose oil,etc?

I've been using various combinations of supplements over the years - and definitely find I get worse if I stop taking them - but recently I've felt the most difference after taking 5 htp.

I order a high strength one from amazon, if you're interested I'll get the link for you.

hudyerwheesht Tue 02-Jun-15 13:38:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hudyerwheesht Tue 02-Jun-15 13:40:22

Don't click on that link, it's the wrong bloody one, sorry. Can't do copy and past very well on my iPad. blush

MajesticWhine Tue 02-Jun-15 13:41:23

er, are you sure about that hudyerwheesht?

glenthebattleostrich Tue 02-Jun-15 13:41:50

Agnus castus and a clean diet. No wheat, low carb high fat has worked well for mine

MajesticWhine Tue 02-Jun-15 14:04:42

Agnus castus and not drinking alcohol in the pre-menstrual period helps me.

hudyerwheesht Tue 02-Jun-15 14:09:22

I know, Majestic - just my luck that the last thing I copied to paste was a Strutter video. blush Hence my request to remove it.

Halfpint76 Tue 02-Jun-15 19:06:18

Ok great thanks, I did buy Evening primrose oil months ago but never actually took it regularly blush. I've never heard of Agnus Castus or 5htp but anything is worth a shot! I do also need to look at my diet as I have been eating crap lately, too much refined sugar, not enough fruit and veg... basically the usual suspects.

I just feel horrendous during the pre-menstrual week, and I can't be easy to live with when I'm like this. I got into a road rage incident this morning and gave the other driver a finger, beeping horn like a mad woman. Embarrassed to say I had the 2 kids with me .... not feeling very proud of myself, It's like I just want to tell the world to eff off blush

hudyerwheesht Tue 02-Jun-15 20:16:53

Oh OP, I've been there. You feel possessed don't you, by a very intolerant, grumpy spirit?! After it's passed I look back and I don't even recognise that person, it's crazy.

Get yourself some agnus Castus and 5-HTP, take them regularly and you will notice a difference. It's not miraculous but they can definitely improve it, ime.

It's not even that "woo" - AC is just a natural remedy like St. John's wort and 5-htp is a serotonin pre-curser, the latter being good at mood regulation and hormonal balance.

Good luck!

Halfpint76 Wed 03-Jun-15 10:58:10

Thanks Hudyerwheesht...I will try those. My behaviour has been awful. I hate it...hate the whole jekyll and hyde of it as I remember my mum being a bit like it too which could be horrible. Don't want that for my children. I love you username by the way. Reminds me of my granny smile

hudyerwheesht Wed 03-Jun-15 20:44:59

Yeah, Jekyll and Hyde, it is like that. I always say to my DH that it is like being emotionally hijacked; you just don't have control over your emotions. Awful. So, so much worse since I had the DC and am in my forties compared with my 20's/30's when I was just a bit weepy and grumpy for a day or 2. Mine has been known to last the best part of a fortnight(didn't know that's what it was until I read that it can start 12 days before your period is due).

Sorry, I'm making this all about me! I just really relate to your OP.

I take it your granny was Scottish! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now