Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Viral labyrinthitis - please help!

(12 Posts)
Rassy Mon 01-Jun-15 16:40:53

Hi - I was diagnosed with viral labyrinthitis last Tuesday (26 May). I woke up with stuffy/blocked ears on the Monday morning and then at 6pm had a really bad dizzy turn - was glued to the sofa for 90 minutes. Felt better afterwards but spaced out. Woke up on Tuesday morning feeling the same and basically nothing has changed hmm

I know I am lucky compared to many others diagnosed with VL. I am still functioning and GP says I can drive but not on motorways. Had no more dizzy turns and occasionally feel sick but I think that is with worry!

Every morning I wake up and it is like Groundhog Day! Just want to feel normal again, especially as going on holiday to the USA at end of June.

Any advice/help much appreciated!

Gnome7000 Mon 01-Jun-15 19:10:17

This might be a weird suggestion, but some of what you describe sounds like fluid behind your ear drum. It can make you dizzy (and a bit deaf) but without the extreme vertigo of labyrinthitis. It can also be worse when you wake up. OTC sudafed/pseudoephedrine might help, but it's not without side effects (makes me a bit jittery).

Did your Dr give you anything? There are a few OTC things that can help with vertigo if not (like stugeron or antihistamines).

Rassy Mon 01-Jun-15 19:45:36

Dr didn't prescribe anything as not suffering with sickness. He did say that he had seen eight people in the past couple of days with it and it could last days or weeks!

I did try a decongestant on the Monday afternoon but it didn't shift the blocked/stuffed ear feeling. Will give Stugeron a try. I feel as if I am on a rocky boat!

Optimist1 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:04:24

Have a look on YouTube for Epley Manoeuvre and get someone to help you with that. There are loads of videos to choose from; just see which one you like the look of. It can be very effective, and certainly won't cause any harm.

Rassy Mon 01-Jun-15 20:11:35

Thanks - will take a look

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 01-Jun-15 20:15:11

My GP prescribed Serc something or other when I had this - it dulls the swaying cross Channel ferry/green at the gills sensation. You should also be aware that you may get milder relapses after this bout has resolved when you are coming down with something viral, but they will be milder and less long lasting.

tangledyarn Mon 01-Jun-15 20:15:12

Google cawthorne cooksey exercises do them as much as possible and walk as much as possible too. The epley manoeuvre will only be effective if you actually have bbpv..but this is possible if gp hasn't checked by doing the dix halpike manoeuvre on you (lying you on a couch and turning your head in specific ways to check your eye movements). Most cases get gradually better and resolve in a few weeks but it can take some time.
I've had labyrinthitis and bppv and now have more complex vestibular issues and have been very unwell..it is horrible but people mostly recover quickly.

Rassy Mon 01-Jun-15 20:20:25

Thanks - I have found that walking does help

tangledyarn Mon 01-Jun-15 20:31:51

When you are walking make sure you are looking left and right and up and down..when our balance is affected its easy to get fixed on a point in the distance but it will really help you recover quickly.

Rassy Mon 01-Jun-15 22:20:40

Thank you everyone for your advice - I just want it to go away!!

Kundry Tue 02-Jun-15 09:56:03

The more you move the better so you are doing the right thing. Your GP is also right not to prescribe you anything as at this stage your inner ear is readjusting - taking meds would put you backwards as you'd then have to readjust on stopping the meds again. Do the cawthrone cooksey exercises and just try to keep moving.

Rassy Tue 02-Jun-15 10:12:52

Am sorely tempted to buy some Stugeron but will resist! My left ear feels as if it is slightly blocked/uncomfortable but doesn't warrant pain killers. The past couple of mornings I have felt a bit worst when I wake up - I open my eyes and feel a bit dizzy.

I find that I am constantly monitoring it which doesn't help. I have the odd moment when I think it has gone but it is only gone for a second or so. Am just trying to carry on as normal, maintain a positive attitude and fight it but it is all pretty awful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now