Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trapped wind. How does it hurt so much? Relief?

(17 Posts)
EventfulDay Sun 31-May-15 11:10:40

I had a bout of D&V a few days so my gut is full of air. I've had wind for a few days.

Last night I woke in the middle of the night in agony. It was relentless. I couldn't pass it effectively and it was just ripping me apart.

Any relief tips (other than peppermint bloody tea).

tribpot Sun 31-May-15 11:15:57

Oh dear, I was going to suggest peppermint! Have you tried ginger and lemon tea to at least help with the cramps?

Lots of sympathy, I am having the same thing although much less extreme than you, the cramps are awful. Can you get to the pharmacy today and see what they've got that would help?

OneDoneOneBun Sun 31-May-15 11:30:47

Oh no! I haven't got any remedies sorry but lots of sympathy! I feel your pain, I'm 10 weeks pregnant second pregnancy and have had the most painful trapped wind ever, didn't realise it could hurt so much! I had it so bad a few nights ago I thought something was wrong with the baby as it was far worst than when I had contractions first time around shock I've tried wind eze capsules before and they kind of worked, tried peppermint tea but it did nothing for me and tasted disgusting! Will be watching with interest to see if there's any good suggestions

beaverbill Sun 31-May-15 11:34:22

I suggest going to see your GP...I had what I thought was trapped wind on and off for 10 years. The cramps were worse than labour and I spent many nights in tears. I was too embarrassed about going to the doctor with "trapped wind" but after one particularly bad night I did. She suspected gallstones, sent me for a scan and I had my gallbladder taken out 3 weeks ago. Apparently it was rather nasty and infected!

codandchipstwice Sun 31-May-15 11:37:48

Colpermin peppermint oil capsules, I used to get this regularly and first time DH saw he tried to call me an ambulance. These take hour or so to kick in and make minty burps but much more preferable to the agony

EventfulDay Sun 31-May-15 12:17:15

I'm not ready for GP yet as its only been a couple of days of wind - only really last night and this morning that I've had the pain.

Natkaiden2012 Mon 01-Jun-15 13:41:40

Try buscopan for the cramps that's what the doctors gave to me they seem to do the trick for a while

rabbitstew Mon 01-Jun-15 22:10:25

Lie down with a hot water bottle on your stomach - the heat seems to help the gas escape!

SignoraStronza Mon 01-Jun-15 22:13:11

Windeeze and charcoal tablets. I also did the hottest drink you can handle.

rabbitstew Mon 01-Jun-15 22:19:21

Soak in a warm bath also eases the pain and releases some of the gas! Followed by going to bed with the hot water bottle, of course!

TwoKidsAndCounting Mon 01-Jun-15 22:21:15

Stomach massage whilst lying flat on the floor with big deep breath, also that yoga move where you look like a cat!? Works a treat. Peppermint tea never ever worked for me. Windeze works but takes a little while. Also I find lying on your left side in bed shifts some. The pain is a bitch though and there's nothing much you can do.

karmagetsyou Mon 01-Jun-15 22:21:43

Probiotics will also help as you've had D&V

Plain yoghurt too

charliewolf Mon 01-Jun-15 22:25:47

Get down on all fours, then leaving your back end up in the air lower your head and arms down, resting on lower arms if that makes sense. It's surprisingly comfortable and the trapped wind will exit! Best to do this in private!

misstiredbuthappy Mon 01-Jun-15 22:27:27

Lie on your front in a warm bath with your bum sticking up out of the water. Honestly it works .

PeaStalks Tue 02-Jun-15 15:28:37

What charliewolf says. It really works.
Like this

To prevent wind eat bio yoghurt every day.

karmagetsyou Tue 02-Jun-15 22:16:33

Try aloe vera gel drink as well - that can soothe the gut apparently .....

038THETA Tue 02-Jun-15 23:36:13

I find this yoga pose quite helpful
www.yogabasics.com/asana/belly-twist-version-a/
change sides a few times, yoga is notorious for shifting things around inside and releasing wind blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now