Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back to normal??

(4 Posts)
Lolimax Fri 29-May-15 21:05:04

I am one very lucky lass. A few months ago I suffered a rare neuro condition that was diagnosed relatively quickly and unlike most people who have it the only complications are slight memory loss and headaches (most people have strokes and/or epilepsy).
I will be returning to work in the future and with careful monitoring and medication I should go on to be a pita to my DH and DC.
So why aren't I the luckiest person in the world? I've had a near miss but I survived it, it clearly wasn't my time. But I'm different.
Has anyone else gone through something life changing and come out the other side a different person? Do I need a gentle MN kick up the bum?

Lolimax Fri 29-May-15 21:06:23

I mean why don't I feel the luckiest person? I feel grateful but every twinge etc I worry that something else is happening!

lovebeingananny Sun 31-May-15 11:03:09

Hi Lolimax

I read your post and just had to reply. I know exactly how you feel. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2013. I have been through Chemo, Surgery and Radiotherapy. I am now in theory and as far as I know Cancer free. So obviously other than taking a hormone drug, I should be back to my normal self and feel glad to be alive.

But I am left with Lymphoedema from the removal of my lymph nodes. This means I have to wear a compression sleeve everyday, a constant reminder that I had cancer. I also have a lot of pain in the breast area, and of course the constant worry that it could come back!

So am I just feeling sorry for myself? Or have I been through a life changing event and still getting used to the new me?!

I think I now realise that nobody really understands how we feel, unless they have been through it. Hence the reason I replied to your post. I don't think you need a kick up the bum, I think you need to know you aren't alone! Because I know I have days when I feel that my life just isn't my own anymore.

So sending you a supportive (((((((hug))))))))) Happy to listen anytime if that helps xx

Lolimax Sun 31-May-15 11:14:19

Thanks lovebeingananny and well done on beating the cancer! You get exactly how I feel! I went out with DH for a 'normal' night out last night. He was over the moon especially as I can't drink now due to the meds so he has his own taxi service. I know I'm different but I'm hoping I'm a bit nicer and caring.
Thanks again for your reply xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now