Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Massively thinning hair

(13 Posts)
mamafridi Wed 20-May-15 11:46:52

Really worried about the front section of my hairline - it has been gradually thinning for years but now it's becoming really noticeable. I went to the doctors and after tests they found I was lacking in iron so I was prescribed strong iron supplements but I can't say I noticed a difference in hair growth. A year on and I'm wondering what my next step should be before I start having to cover my head up. :-(

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 20-May-15 13:32:53

Vitamin B12 is another offender in hair loss, also thyroid problems.

justanotherquestion Wed 20-May-15 15:21:39

Have you tried minoxidil? That may help.

tobee Thu 21-May-15 12:29:18

Genetic sufferer of thin hair here. My hair is also thin at the front. Like a bloke with receding hair. I also have thyroid problems and iron deficiency and vit d deficiency.

I've been on iron tablets for 18 months now and I've only recently noticed (last few weeks) that the thickness has improved.

Having searched on mumsnet about hair loss/thinning I saw people recommending products by Philip Kingsley and bought shampoo and conditioner. It seems to help.

I'd given up hope, really, but it definitely looks better. DH agrees. Personally, I put it down to the iron tablets and it taking that long for the hair to improve.

Kittykat7 Fri 22-May-15 11:52:16

It could be Androgenic Alopecia. I have it & have tried various treatments that are Anti androgen like Dianette & Yasmin Pill, spironilactone & Cyproterone. All gave me side effects so I had to stop. I was recommended to use the male Rogaine foam as it's stronger but as my hair is curly I have to wash & dry it every other day & can't be rubbing anything in to my scalp as my hair would look lank & matted.

MissingKittyCat Fri 22-May-15 15:59:21

I have this too. Starting to get me down. I also have thyroid issues and constant anaemia. Marking place for the magic answer!

Lipgloss74 Fri 22-May-15 16:47:55

I have a smiling problem due to medication- I went to a health store and have started taking biotin but they also recommend sea kelp now, I massage my scalp with coconut oil every week, I no longer straighten my hair, I keep it short and flatter to disguise my shiny scalp and I use active manuka honey shampoo, I believe nioxin is very good but out of my price range.
Good luck x

Lipgloss74 Fri 22-May-15 22:47:53

I meant similar shock

tobee Sat 23-May-15 01:08:19

Oh. Disappointed now that you don't have a smiling problem!

susiedaisy Sat 23-May-15 01:15:19

Lipgloss grin

I also have this problem my hair is thinning at the front where my fringe should be. I now don't have enough hair there to have a fringe if I try all I have are a few wispy hairs hmm. I'm not aware of having a thyroid problem or being anaemic but I know my mum and her grandmother have had the same issue

susiedaisy Sat 23-May-15 01:17:42

Oh meant to add my hairdresser said its not an uncommon complaint from women in theirs forties and older.

tobee Sat 23-May-15 02:21:27

My mum says her granny used to take a little bun of "someone else's hair'" and incorporate into her own hair. This did not make me feel better. And my granny always had a big halo of white curls around her clearly visible shiny scalp but as a child I thought this was normal.

poppym12 Sat 30-May-15 20:31:14

i'm struggling with this too. my ferritin levels, zinc and vit d were apparently low when i first went to see my gp about it 18 months ago. i have religiously taken my iron and vit d supplements. it did seem to improve for a while but its got worse again. now i'm wondering how to style my hair to make it less obvious (its obvious to me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now