Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heart palpitations

(13 Posts)
tuffgingernut Mon 18-May-15 15:50:01

Hi. I've had these for years now, they are often (like today) very frequent and quite strong. Had an ecg many years ago and was told it's nothing to worry about and just put down as anxiety. I'm not feeling anxious or stressed today at all but I'm having tons of palpitations, any ideas what else could be causing them? Fed up with them.

iwantgin Mon 18-May-15 15:55:06

I was just about to ask the same question. I had these for a couple of days in a row last week then none since. Like random flutter ings?

As far as I know I don't have any issues. Am taking meds which I believe can lower blood pressure?

So no advice from me OP. But hope yours clear off, as it can be quite alarming.

tuffgingernut Mon 18-May-15 16:16:45

Hi iwantgin, I take a beta blocker to try and reduce the frequency of palpitations, not sure it works though. As it's a new symptom for you it'd be worth getting them checked out. Good luck.

iwantgin Tue 19-May-15 11:32:34

Since posting not had any more. If it continues then I will see the GP about it - but otherwise will put it down to just' one of those things'.

jn367502 Tue 19-May-15 13:02:42

I would say go and see your gp if you are still having them. I have palpitations myself and have just been prescribed beta blockers. It could be nothing it could also be a symptom of something else.

Whatamayday Wed 20-May-15 07:31:05

I get them a lot. If you google it says not to worry about it, they're competely normal. I tend to get them in the evening when resting which apparently is common.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 20-May-15 08:25:39

A lot of the time they are nothing to worry about, but they CAN be something.
I would mention it to your GP.

MrsBungle50 Tue 02-Jun-15 17:25:40

Hiya, I've had these for years too and take a low dose beta blocker when they get annoying. The one thing that has really helped me is to give up caffeine completely. I have decaf everything and within 4/5 days of cutting it out i really noticed a difference. The consultant suggested no more than 3 cups of coffee etc per day but I found it had to be a zero caffeine approach to get the benefits.

I would always go back to gp if they bother you, always worth checking them out xx

Ragusa Tue 02-Jun-15 18:01:18

I would also get them checked out just to be on the safe side. ECG is done in seconds and mine was same day. Hurrah for the NHS.

Where are you in your cycle? I get more palpitations just before my period.

StrawberrytallCake Tue 02-Jun-15 18:04:22

I have palpitations with caffeine so avoiding that and too much sugar stops me from getting any.

I think if you've been having them for years I would be pushing for a referral and holter monitor for 24 hours rather than simple ECG - they don't always pick everything up.

peggyundercrackers Tue 02-Jun-15 18:08:40

Depends if you have any other symptoms with them, if not it's probably something but nothing but if you have other symptoms get it checked out.

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-15 18:12:23

i got them after too many sweetners

nikki1978 Tue 02-Jun-15 18:14:00

What do you mean by palpitations? Do you mean beating too fast, fluttering, beating irregularly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now