Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'Unexplained' bruising

(7 Posts)
Nishky Sun 17-May-15 08:42:55

I have put unexplained in inverted commas because I am quite clumsy and often cannot remember when I knocked into something.

However I have a huge bruise on my arm which is quite sore-I would have thought that I would remember that-and I have a bruise on top of my hand-again I have no recollection and that is quite a difficult area to bruise so I would expect to remember.

Google suggests it can be an effect of ageing - I turned 50 this year shock
So I suspect it is not that

I have lost a significant amount of weight, but quite slowly -nothing dramatic and within healthy BMI, so not excessive.

Any one else experienced this?

PausingFlatly Sun 17-May-15 08:57:08

Could be anything from vitamin deficiency to Something Nasty.

Worth a trip to your doctor. Even if it's just Vit D deficiency, you'll want to fix that.

Nishky Sun 17-May-15 09:35:02

Thanks Pausing, I think I will contact doctor and see what they say.

KanyesVest Sun 17-May-15 09:54:18

I am always covered in bruises, DH tells me I'm a very delicate peach wink I rarely remember how I get them.either. I often bump myself and think, "I must remember that for when the bruise comes up", but I almost never do. I think I get a lot of them in child related incidents, so I end up comforting whichever small child has headbutted me instead of thinking about what I'll look like afterwards. My legs are nearly entirely black and blue since I started weight lifting.

Can vit d help with bruising? I'm ghostly white, so it's highly likely that I'm deficient.

blessedenough Sun 17-May-15 10:00:49

Oh i get this, i have been lc-ing and its worse, i did wonder whether i was missing something from my diet. I have just started taking vit D so i will see if that helps.Watching with interest

PausingFlatly Sun 17-May-15 10:17:45

I'm similar, KanyesVest, and vit D springs to mind for me because I actually did have a deficiency at one time.

But IIUC several nutritional deficiencies can make you more susceptible to bruising, as well as lots of other conditions. Or you may just bruise easily.

PausingFlatly Sun 17-May-15 10:32:38

Come to think of it, it was MN which alerted me. I got my vit D tested privately by these folks because I didn't want the hassle with my GP.

My perception is that I bruise less easily now, but I might just be less clumsy due to other health issues improving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now