Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possile for cancer classed as inoperable to be cured by chemo?

(6 Posts)
WhenMarnieWasThere Sat 16-May-15 23:31:48

I know nothing's given.

My DDad is having chemo for a very large bladder cancer that has been classified by the consultant as inoperable as it's so large that the operation would be massive.

He's on a trial of chemo and feels that it's shrinking his tumour (he's literally sitting on the tumor so can feel it) and he's starting to have slightly less discomfort.

Family are talking about 'after' in terms of him being better and cured, but I am finding it difficult to be positive as all that echoes in my head is the word 'inoperable'.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience of someone they knew being diagnosed with an inoperable tumour, but then having success with chemo.

TIA

Hello899 Sun 17-May-15 00:15:38

Hey I have no experience on this but don't want to read and run, maybe the chemo could shrink the tumour and then it could be operated on? I hope someone comes along and gives u some info that will help you xx

meandjulio Sun 17-May-15 00:24:51

I'm so sorry your Dad is going through this. I don't have any stories that would help.

Have you got a Maggie's near you? I really think you woudl benefit from visiting them.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 17-May-15 00:31:28

Thanks for the replies.

No Magies, but there's lots of support on offer by those running the trial at his hospital, as well as an attached facility that offers counseling and other services.

fedupandtired Sun 17-May-15 15:57:39

Yes, it's perfectly possible that chemo can shrink a tumour that was classed as inoperable so that it is operable. Hope this is the case for your dad.

Coldcabbagestew Sun 17-May-15 21:28:40

In certain situations chemotherapy does indeed make inoperable tumours operable - bit this would depend very much on the reasons why they were inoperable in the first place.

Have they mentioned the possibility of radiotherapy? Radiotherapy is a curative treatment for bladder cancer and is sometimes an option for people who can 't have surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now