Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really sore boob - what could it be

(10 Posts)
toomanywheeliebins Sat 16-May-15 21:52:26

I'm in my mid thirties, not overweight and in general good health.
My boobs have been aching for a few months but I had been putting it down
to them readjusting to stopping feeding my second DC in November when she was nearly 2. But now the left one is really throbbing and it was bad enough to mention it to the GP the other day and he said he would refer me to Breast care clinic as a precaution. Yesterday in the bath it felt a bit lumpy but today I couldn't really feel it. I'm wondering what it could be? The GP had just done a full blood screen for other reasons and all was fine but wondering whether I should go back and push for an urgent referral to the screening clinic. I'm extremely paranoid about all things breast as my mother died from breast cancer four years ago so am aware that I might be overreacting

TheoriginalLEM Sat 16-May-15 21:59:58

i was referred to the breast clinic with pain in my boob. They examined me and sent me on my way. The dr did say what it was am buggered if i can remember what it was but just painful boobs.

Does your bra fit well? where are you in your cycle? those would be my first considerations

TheoriginalLEM Sat 16-May-15 22:01:12

oh and iam so sorry to read about your mum x

toomanywheeliebins Sat 16-May-15 22:08:07

Thanks for response. I should go and get a remeasure after finishing breastfeeding. Before my first DC I went to Rigby and peller, spent 200 quid on bras and immediately get pregnant. I don't really get cycles as I take the pill back to back for endorsed

measles64 Sat 16-May-15 22:11:59

Have you had mastitis?

JennyWreny Sat 16-May-15 22:26:51

I had similar symptoms to you. It was fibrocystic changes. Nothing to worry about and consultant prescribed Evening Primrose Oil.

One thing the GP said to me was that it was a good sign that it was painful as that usually indicates that it's something minor.

Obviously you are doing the right thing by going to the clinic. Can you call them Monday and find out when your appointment is likely to be. In this area, they have a 2 week target for referrals to the breast care clinic so hopefully won't be too long to wait.

CarbeDiem Sat 16-May-15 22:32:07

I had similar to what you describe a few years back and cysts were found. The buggering things react and hurt when my hormones rise and fall.

I was last at the breast on thursday for an issue with the other breast, which is thankfully ok but I got referred under the rapid access 14 day appt system - so if you are worried do go and ask your GP to refer you.

Good luck

toomanywheeliebins Sat 16-May-15 22:38:47

Endometriosis not endorsed. Yes the GP said that her lump was benign because it was painful to my mum. Obviously in most cases that is true.
hmm

It throbs to the point I might have to take paracetamol. I will chase the GP monday as they equally have a two week thing here but I stupidly said 'don't prioritise me'.

I had mastitis once or twice in my three years of bf. I suppose it could be a blocked duct. Does it happen even after stopping six months ago?
I stopped suddenly when I had proper flu and actually couldn't move. But we were down to once a day at that point and I wasn't in any discomfort

toomanywheeliebins Sat 16-May-15 22:45:47

And thanks for comments, much appreciated

CarbeDiem Sun 17-May-15 11:19:23

I also have a blocked duct, right behind my nipple. It appeared quite quickly after I stopped BF. Mine doesn't hurt or throb nor react to my hormones. It's just an uncomfortable feeling rather than a pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now