Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergies, Hayfever, Asthma - I feel I cannot continue like this

(13 Posts)
QuintShhhhhh Sat 16-May-15 13:34:39

I can literally feel my health diminishing.

I have been taking Loretadine daily since mid October. brown inhaler morning and evening. Nasal spray to try open up, cortisol nasal spray for allergy.

Still, my sinuses are aching. I feel tired and drowsy. My eyes are itching. My chest feels tight.

What is the point of nice flowers, big trees, and sunny weather if I am not healthy enough to enjoy it?

Last year, I was able to exercise even with a new asthma diagnosis. Aside from a couple of walks, I have not been exercising since before Christmas now. I feel fat, heavy, out of breath and with heavy legs.

I don't know what to do. We live in London. My gp says it is the pollution together with the pollen, and that the Thames Valley area is a really bad place to live.

But, I had just settled into life in London again, and I really don't want to move further out. If I have to take the kids out of school, I rather just move back to Norway again. But, not sure I want that anymore either.

itshotinperth Sat 16-May-15 14:07:11

My youngest has terrible environmental allergies, hay fever, cats, dogs, dust mites, pollen - no asthma though so can't help there but try cetirizine instead of loretadine - this definitely works better for him - I think zyrtec is the brand name for cetirizine. Also he is being desentisitized - long program of injections but he has been going for almost a year so far and things are improving. Still takes cetirizine 2/3 times a week but not every day anymore.

Desensitization here (in oz) takes just over 3 years but you see a big improvement quite quickly if its going to work - and it does in approx 80 % of people. Sorry can't help with the asthma. I know he really suffers when we visit the UK.

It is hideous and he is really miserable when its bad - which it was most days summer and winter until we started the treatment.

QuintShhhhhh Sat 16-May-15 14:59:52

I have never heard of that treatment, not sure it is available here.

Cetrizine makes me too sleepy, I tried before. Loretadine is the only one that is bearable for me.

MugsLife Sat 16-May-15 22:39:42

That treatment was mentioned on Countryfile recently - they called it Immunotherapy. They say it's rarely done here as it got a bad press in the 80s, but that it's on the rise. (Some if those facts I might have remembered wrong!).

I agree that Cetrizine works best. Have you tried the celulose nasal spray - I haven't come across it before, so I guess it must be new. It says it acts as a barrier.

I moved from London last year and definitely find when I go back hayfever hits me much worse because of the pollution, it really makes a difference.

MollyAir Sat 16-May-15 22:43:04

Really - worse in London? I am really suffering this year, too, Quint. Similar symptoms to yours. I hate it. <<plans move>>

MollyAir Sat 16-May-15 22:44:23

Oh blimey, just realised what Quint's GP said about Thames Valley. How true is that, then?

SquidgyMaltLoaf Sat 16-May-15 22:49:11

You could try the eating local honey thing - not sure how well it works but might be worth a try. I used to have a brown inhaler but now have a red one which is stronger so it's worth going back to the doctor. It's a turbohaler - they don't give them out routinely as they cost a fortune.

BiscuitMillionaire Sat 16-May-15 22:51:34

Have you thought about getting an air purifier for your bedroom? From reading online they seem to work for some allergy-sufferers. You would need to do some research, though, as they're not all the same.

ursuslemonade Sat 16-May-15 22:57:57

I live just outside of London near fields, parks etc. I've been a hayfever sufferer for 25 years. My sinuses are fucked quite often.
I'm on prednisolone (steroid) and flixonase nasules atm...let's see if they do anything to my breathing as every bloody spring and summer is hell.
One thing made my symptoms go away: spending summer months on the sea side (Mediterranean)
Otherwise nasal rinsing and that hayfever machine (with probe) and cetirizine what I use.

ishouldcocoa Sat 16-May-15 23:06:20

Can I suggest you look into following a low histamine diet? I started one back in early March, and my hay fever symptoms are about fifth of what they've been for the last 5 years. It's as if my system has completely calmed down.
Google 'low histamine chef'.
Basically you cut all the crap, tinned food, smoked food, red wine, champagne, spinach, tomatoes, seafood and anything preserved with vinegar. I'm not religious about it, but if it means I can cut down on the medication, I'm all for it!
HTH

MollyAir Sat 16-May-15 23:17:40

OMG, just found a list of food here:

www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/about/the-food-diary/the-food-list

So many of those foods make me worse! Could this be The Answer?

Koalafications Sun 17-May-15 08:09:10

I have horrendous Hayfever, dust allergies and I have it all year.

I use cetirzine normally or now that I'm pregnant chloraphenamine. Loratadine is far too weak for me.

I agree with your GP, London is the worst for it now that I have moved out my symptoms have improved dramatically. I know it's extreme to move, so look for alternatives first but IME moving has made a huge difference.

ishouldcocoa Sun 17-May-15 14:46:44

I hope that helps you Molly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now