Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have my B12 injection booked for Monday & I can't wait!!

(19 Posts)
Katymac Fri 15-May-15 22:36:22

It's possibly the most exciting thing in my life right now

I will have 2 weeks (maybe 15-18 days) when I actually feel reasonably well- reduced (muscle/nerve/bone) pain, increased ability to move, food being digested well, fewer headaches

I totally can't wait

Mind you then I will have 9-10 weeks of waiting for the next one with all my symptoms swooping in after that little period of goodness <sigh>

But at least I get those 2 weeks of living my life again

sanfairyanne Fri 15-May-15 22:54:17

yay smile

why not buy them privately as well?

AmyElliotDunne Fri 15-May-15 23:11:45

I take the sublingual lozenges, last time I had my levels checked they were fine. The tablets are like 10,000% of your recommended daily dose, so even if you have trouble absorbing the vit B through your stomach, some of it should get through! Any you don't need just gets expelled.

I don't have regular injections any more and don't take the tabs every day, but when I start to feel a tingle or feel particularly tired I try to take them for a few days. I'm sure if you took them religiously they'd do a great job.

Obviously look for a reputable brand and get the methyl version, not cyano. I've heard you can buy vials of the injectable one, but don't know anyone if trust to inject me as it stings like a bastard even when an experienced nurse does it!

Katymac Sat 16-May-15 10:11:12

Amy I didn't think you could have your levels checked while you were taking supplements - I thought it gave a false reading

I asked my GP about prescribing the injections privately- but he said he wouldn't go outside NICE guidance

I take 3000 as a spray but i'm not sure it's enough for me

noddyholder Sat 16-May-15 10:12:40

I have been having them for years and you don't just get a couple of weeks ime

noddyholder Sat 16-May-15 10:13:46

I need every 8 weeks so my GP does it When we went to every 12 I felt exhausted and used the lozenges which helped AM back on 8 weekly now and better. Have mine monday too

PacificDogwood Sat 16-May-15 10:15:03

If you feel bad after 2 weeks, it's not low VitB12 cause it, KatyMac - even giving them every 3 months is likely to over replace you, so whatever you are feeling is unlikely related to VitB12.

noddyholder Sat 16-May-15 10:19:59

The guide lines in the UK are very low Every 8 weeks caused most of my symptoms to return with a vengeance and my GP said in other countries it is given more as required and he does that. My mouth was full of ulcers and I couldn't walk far I was exhausted

goodasitgets Sat 16-May-15 10:21:36

I take a (not cheap) multi vit. Had my bloods done and my B12 was so high it was unreadable, got asked if I was on injections. Could be worth a go?

Katymac Sat 16-May-15 10:26:15

Well the ulcers disappear post injection - maybe 5-7 days after the injection & are normally back by 3 weeks(ish)

Vit D has done wonders for my energy levels although I still sleep loads
Not sure what the Zinc is doing but I notice it if I forget for a few days (tend not to do that now)

I notice there is some cloud funding going on right now into the possibility of a leaky gut contributing to ME/CFS so a job today is to google & contribute to that

I did a 6 week gap and that was better but then they changed their mind & went to 12 weeks

EldonAve Sat 16-May-15 10:40:51

I have mine 6 weekly

Katymac Sat 16-May-15 11:01:31

6 weekly would be lovely

4 weekly divine

I think the problem was I never got the loads doses properly I had 1 a week for 6 weeks - mind you I have to say some of those 6 weeks were lovely - I had 3 or 4 days every week when I was near enough normal

I wonder what else is in the B12 that makes me feel better?

EldonAve Sat 16-May-15 11:11:17

My levels definitely drop too low if I go longer between jabs

I have also suffered low folate at various times which gives similar effects to low B12

Have you had your folate level checked?

noddyholder Sat 16-May-15 11:14:28

I know someone every 4 I still take the odd sublingual around week s 6 and 7

Katymac Sat 16-May-15 12:03:40

I have folate in the fridge - the GP told me to stop taking it

I wonder if I should start again

Katymac Mon 18-May-15 10:24:50

Apparently I should be grateful for the 2 weeks I feel better - can you imagine how bad I would feel without it

Katymac Thu 21-May-15 21:25:50

Today I feel pretty good; I woke feeling refreshed (despite a minor headache), I can manage stairs without wincing - I have very few stray nerve pains or neuralgia, I still needed a doze at lunchtime but not a full on sleep. I could get up of the sofa without using my arms as a lever/support, my tummy is behaving itself (although that could be the anti-histamines) & cognitively I can find words to complete sentences & remember tasks AND no ulcers

I have some pain (nerve/muscle & bone), a small amount of confusion sometimes & a certain amount of digestive issues

But I would pay good money to feel this way all the time - it may be a placebo effect but it's spectacular

TheShoeLady Thu 21-May-15 21:44:03

Do you have thyroid problems as well Katy? The exhaustion, aching and general illness could be caused by something else and if you're low on B12 it could also indicate something like that. I have both.

Katymac Fri 22-May-15 08:19:04

I think my thyroid is OK the general tests have been fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now