Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactose intolerance in adults?

(7 Posts)
Elfina Mon 11-May-15 07:26:26

Does anyone know whether it's possible to develop lactose intolerance in adulthood?

BikeRunSki Mon 11-May-15 07:31:00

Yes, I did.

It lasted about 5 years, and has been much better since I had ds. I had hyperemisis and threw up many times a day gor 3 months or didn't eat at all for weeks at a time, it's like my digestion rebooted. <theory not founded on any medical training whatsoever>

Lovehorror Mon 11-May-15 07:32:52

I did after I had my dc

Elfina Mon 11-May-15 08:20:04

Interesting. I had HG with DD lasting 40 weeks!

Stinkersmum Mon 11-May-15 08:23:20

Yep. DH is in his 40s and developed an intolerance about 4 months ago.

dannydyerismydad Mon 11-May-15 08:23:23

Yes. In fact it's more likely you'll develop it in adulthood.

Lactose is milk sugar, available in all mammalian milk. Lactose intolerance in infant hood is incredibly rare (but of course does happen). If it was common to be born with it, we would be extinct as a species.

Mammals aren't really designed to continue consuming milk products after infant hood, so it's possible to become intolerant later in life.

PoshPenny Mon 11-May-15 16:11:56

Yes. If I had it before, it's much worse now. I think it developed in adulthood in my case. Those lactase enzyme tablets can be very helpful especially when you are out to keep the more embarrassing and audible symptoms at bay...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now