Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore throat for 6 weeks. Any tips?

(7 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 10-May-15 22:10:54

I've had a sore throat for 6 weeks now. It was really nasty when it started with inflamed tonsils and I think I coughed up a tonsil stone (boak).

For the last few weeks it's just one sided and when I swallow but I'm getting fed up now! Any tips of what might resolve it (other than gargling with Oraldene which I've been doing) would be gratefully received.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 11-May-15 11:47:07

Ok. If there's no tips to ease it, when do you think it would be reasonable to consult a GP? I was thinking in another couple of weeks (they always say that it's normal for viral illnesses to last up to 6 weeks).

FluffyCubs Mon 11-May-15 12:45:44

Have you not been to a doctor yet? Go now! Six weeks too long for sore throat, they normally resolve in a week.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 11-May-15 22:14:13

The thing is that it's not been really bad since the first week. It only hurts when I swallow now. No croaky voice or anything.

Newquay Tue 12-May-15 08:47:05

Not promising it'll work but gargling salt in water LOTS helps me.

Muchtoomuchtodo Tue 12-May-15 21:30:13

Thanks, it's got to be worth a try!

Hot or cold?

Newquay Wed 13-May-15 08:36:49

I dissolve as much salt as possible in say an inch of boiling water - then add cold so that it's warm when I gargle. It tastes awful obviously smile goodly k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now