Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Private MRI costs

(13 Posts)
loveyoutothemoon Sat 09-May-15 22:05:12

Does anyone know how much a spinal MRI costs privately? Is it right that it's cheaper if you wait a few weeks?
Going to make some enquiries on Monday. Just thought someone may know on here?
Thanks in advance.

Queenofknickers Sat 09-May-15 22:29:48

I saw the bill for mine that bupa paid and it was £900!!!

MrsFlorrick Sat 09-May-15 22:41:54

Mine was about £1200 inc appointment with Consultant neurologist. Sadly expensive business.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 09-May-15 22:50:34

Thanks. Gosh!
MrsFlorrick how long did you wait?

Littlefish Sat 09-May-15 22:51:24

MRI on my knee was about £800.

APMom Sat 09-May-15 23:02:28

In Ireland I paid around 200euro for a knee mri for my daughter, she had ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament.

MatildaTheCat Sun 10-May-15 12:12:12

I've had several. Cheapest in London using old machines. Yes, more expensive for quick appointment though there was room for negotiation. Cost about £350 for same week appointment. Referral required.

InHealth are a big national company and there it was about £400 if I recall correctly. Then a big jump for London hospital with newest machines and dye injected for enhanced contrast, about £1200.

The main point is that there is room to negotiate the rate,especially if you can go at short notice. Even the cheapest scan did show up the problem though doctors are a bit hmm about looking at them because the quality isn't great.

EmNetta Sun 10-May-15 13:32:36

It's about ten years ago now, but consultant decided I should have a double MRI on my spine (Nuffield as I remember) which cost around £1,200.
Cost was least of the problems (I didn't know negotiation was possible), but it did involve about one and a half hours in that horrible machine - no tranquilizers/whatever as I drove myself home after to avoid extra cost of overnight stay - and no diagnosis until another surgeon operated years later for cancer.
I'd avoid double MRI if at all possible.

Eastpoint Sun 10-May-15 13:34:30

There's a place near Waterloo which will do them for £250. Ask your consultant how your treatment will vary according to the MRI, mine said there would be no difference so I didn't have one.

natdee Sun 10-May-15 23:58:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toughasoldboots Mon 11-May-15 00:23:19

I paid £580 for non contrast spinal at a Nuffield hospital. I wanted it for next working day. This was four years ago.

MatildaTheCat Mon 11-May-15 14:38:49

The place at Waterloo is where I went first time.the machines are ancient but did the job well enough. Newer machines are far superior in their imaging.

I recommend finding the nearest InHealth.

Draylon Wed 13-May-15 18:17:07

I believe we charge about £400 for a spine MRI.

Whereabouts are you? Could you wait for an NHS one or won't the NHS offer one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now