Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period woes - what next

(8 Posts)
manchestermummy Fri 08-May-15 13:31:42

I have very, very painful periods. I feel ill for the duration and they are making my life a complete misery.

I am loath to try hormonal interventions as all the types of pill I have tried have made my mood low. I suffer from depression as it is and I just don't want that.

I had awful periods in my teens and early twenties which no medical professionals really cared about as "they will sort themselves out when you have babies". I have, and it did, but now they are back to making me feel as if I am being ripped in two.

I'm no wuss as seems to be Dh's opinion: I have given birth with no pain relief at all (not being boastful, just contextualising that I have a high pain threshold).

I have been scanned for fibroids, all fine.

I was prescribed mefenamic acid which helped with the pain (after an hour) but have made me feel extremely ill. Spaced put, drunk, nauseous, upset stomach. DD2 has spent the day watching tv as I am feeling so unwell.

I can't take ibuprofen as it results in the above but the GP thinks that I should be able to cope as the benefits will outweigh the side effects. Struggling to appreciate that.

What next?

Kittykat7 Fri 08-May-15 13:50:42

I'm not sure how you would go with the Mirena. It would help lessen the bleeding but the hormones still cause side effects. I have depression but I couldn't get on with it. It didn't affect my mood. I just had greasy hair/skin, spots, headaches & constant spotting. They say it takes 6 mths to settle down. I had it taken out after 3 mths.
There is a method called Endometrial ablation that may help. I would get your GP to refer you to a gynaecologist for further investigation.

madmother1 Fri 08-May-15 13:52:46

I second that. I'm a medical secretary for a Gynaecologist and this is a common problem. Don't suffer any more!

manchestermummy Fri 08-May-15 14:01:15

Thanks for your replies.

I feel very down about it. I have spent the past few days in either agony or feeling dreadfully ill due to mefenamic acid.

I have made a Dr's appointment in a couple of weeks. I feel none of them are interested in helping because I really do not want to go the hormonal route.

Kittykat7 Fri 08-May-15 14:22:47

Can you see a different Dr? Maybe go to the family plannubg clinic as they spend more time & listen to you. You see a Dr after being checked by the nurse.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 08-May-15 14:35:03


What you describe may be well due to endometriosis. Its very common (its the second most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids) and very much under diagnosed. It is usually only diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

It can also start upon onset of menses and I was not at all surprised to read that your periods have always been painful. Any pain that is cyclical in nature and gets worse up to and including menses should be checked out further to see if endometriosis is the cause.

It would not necessarily appear on internal ultrasound scans as the endometrical deposits are so small.

I would return to the GP and insist most strongly to this person that you are referred to a gynaecologist. You need specialist help now, GPs are woefully underequipped when it comes to such problems and do not always think of endometriosis as a possible cause.

If your GP practice is unhelpful change GP practice. Do not put up with sub standard treatment.

You need to know what the cause is rather than the GP trying and failing to manage the symptoms. Do not be fobbed off, you will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

I would also suggest you start keeping a daily pain (do a scale from 1-10) and symptom diary as this will give the gynae clues.

You do not have to suffer like this, insist on a gynae referral and do not take no for an answer.

manchestermummy Fri 08-May-15 14:35:04

I think I've seen all 6 of them in the practice at some point, but I hadn't thought of a family planning clinic, so I'll look into that - good suggestion!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 08-May-15 14:38:47

Will the FPC be able to refer you though, they may well tell you to go back to the GP. The cause of this really needs to be properly determined.

If your current practice is not up to muster, change GP practice. This process is not as difficult to do these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now