Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any good treatments for psoriasis on the face and scalp?

(9 Posts)
reup Mon 27-Apr-15 16:24:37

Have had psoriasis for decades but its been mild recently so haven't done much. Its flared up a bit on my face and I wondered if there was anything new for it? I think I used curataderm last tim but I know lots of creams can't be used on the face.

Thanks

574ejones Mon 27-Apr-15 20:23:51

E45 should be okay to use on the face, but your pharmacist will be able to recommend something.

thecatsm0ther Wed 29-Apr-15 23:03:07

Steroid creams can't be used on the face. However, if it gets really bad I do use the tiniest dab of mild steroid cream. It's very rare that I need to luckily.

Have you tried Salcura Zeoderm? I think Boots sell it or you can order it online. I got on better with it than E45.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Apr-15 23:08:50

DS2 (21) suddenly started with really bad psoriasis on his face, scalp, limbs & torso last year

He's currently undergoing UV treatment which is making a massive difference to some of it, but the consultant dermatologist prescribed 3 different products while we were waiting

Sebco for scalp, which has to be applied & left on for 1-2 hours then shampooed out
a coconut oil thing for around the edges of hair/ears (will look up brand in a sec)
Exorex coal tar lotion for everywhere else

all 3 are on prescription but if you use a lot it's well worth paying for a 3-month certificate

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 29-Apr-15 23:11:32

Synalar is the gel for edges of hair/ears

some of the products include steroids but I forget which

worth seeing your GP initially anyway, & if it's really bothering you get referred to dermatology

good luck smile

babybarrister Wed 29-Apr-15 23:14:15

I got a prescription for Dovobet - brilliant stuff

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 30-Apr-15 16:29:33

I've read about using coal tar shampoo,so T Gel, on the psoriasis. Leave it on for at least 5 mins then wash off in the shower. Also Allergenics Intensive cream is really nice , you can get it from Holland and Barrett and its a fiver. I've just discovered it and it's amazing.

reup Thu 30-Apr-15 16:34:23

Thanks. I've got some new ones to try. I forgot to say I'm allergic to coal tar so that rules a few out! I was using it fine one day then it caused a terrible reaction.

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 30-Apr-15 19:10:30

Make sure vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels are optimal, supplementing if necessary. Banish all toiletries containing sodium lauryl sulphate or its relatives, parabens etc and also check thyroid function and treat if necessary.

Within six months of doing this, my psoriasis had gone completely and eighteen months later there is still no sign of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now