Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirena coil for heavy periods..yes or no?

(26 Posts)
li33i Thu 16-Apr-15 10:37:44

Hi. I'm booked in for the end of the month to have one fitted..at the end of my tether with heavy periods and now low iron. Had scans and blood tests which show no obvious cause. Would love to hear from others with similar probs who found mirena has helped or anything else that helped �� so tired of feeling tired x

PurpleWithRed Thu 16-Apr-15 10:44:17

Mirena No1 fitted in early 1994. 6-8 weeks of spotting, never had a period since. Hope it works for you.

cowmop Thu 16-Apr-15 10:46:36

I was exactly the same. I had a Mirena coil in October, I did have 3 months of light spotting, but now just have what is virtually just spotting for two days a month. It's the best thing I've done in a long while!

HellKitty Thu 16-Apr-15 10:47:36

My first fitted 2007/8 for heavy periods. Very light spotting for a couple of months. I still had regular periods but they would last 3-4 days and only need the lightest Tampax (the diddy purple ones!).

Got it out last year and my periods came back, as heavy as ever. Going to get another fitted asap!

isitnearlytime Thu 16-Apr-15 17:34:19

Had one for 9 months last year, had almost constant light spotting. Am now on pill, periods heavy again but at least only once a month!

splodgeness Fri 17-Apr-15 16:58:29

Had one fitted six months ago due to ridiculous cannot leave the house type periods. Had first two periods which were quite light and then nothing since. I had a bit of greasy skin and spots on my face the first month but nothing major. There are loads of bad news stories, it doesn't work for all but its definitely worth a try as if it does work it is marvellous. I tried the depot injection and I had constant spotting, but the coil works for me. So nice not to have to carry around loads of stuff, excuse myself from meetings etc.

ThreeBecameFour Fri 17-Apr-15 19:38:19

Watching this thread with interest. I had mine fitted 6 weeks ago and have only had a few days bleed free - either heavy spotting or heavy bleeding the rest of the time. I had really heavy out of control periods before and mirena was suggested to control it. I am seriously fed up with all the bleeding and I hate the sight of sanitary products with a passion now! Dying to hear positive stories!!! It works as a contraceptive. No sex due to being fed up of the bleeding! wink

pilates Fri 17-Apr-15 20:44:49

Didn't work for me, but had massive fibroids.

Good luck.

Alwaysfrank Fri 17-Apr-15 20:52:46

Coming up for 5 years now for me and it is fab. No bleeding at all any more, it has been a revelation.

SueDunome Fri 17-Apr-15 22:25:55

I had mine fitted four years ago. I still have regular periods, enough to warrant using tampons for a couple of days a month, but nothing like the horrendous periods I was having before. I'd say go for it.

I'm on my second, had several months of almost continual light bleeding when the first went in, but ever since it's about one day of light bleeding every couple of months, life changing for me.

MothershipG Fri 17-Apr-15 22:31:46

Worked for me too, no periods for the last 10 years and hopefully this one will take me past menopause. Obviously doesn't suit everyone but has been great for me.

Nellagain Fri 17-Apr-15 22:32:31

Had it 3 years an its great. Spotting for the first few months but tolerable.

Even better I now have energy all the time and don't feel dizzy every morning.

Chillycamper Fri 17-Apr-15 22:34:50

Was really struggling with flooding periods in work (and at home, in bed etc).
It took 6 months for spotting to stop but it was very light - panty liner was enough. Since then no periods. Great.
I did get sore boobs from time to time and worried I was pregnant but sometimes did a test, all negative.
DH says it's affected by libido. Hmm maybe but the again I'm knackered from busy life!

FluffyKitten21 Fri 17-Apr-15 22:40:05

I had light spotting for a whole year, but nothing since & been in for over 5 years now. Will need replacing soon but putting it off as I found insertion really painful. Will it be the same second time arund?

tilder Fri 17-Apr-15 22:40:28

I've used them for about 5 years. Periods used to be very painful and heavy, made life rather tricky. Once I had a mirena fitted, my periods gradually got lighter until now, just need a panty liner for 2 days a month. Amazing.

I really don't get on with other hormone contraception but mirena has been great. Would just say read up on the side effects plus how it acts as contraception first, as it is different to most.

I also wouldn't go longer than 3 years without a change. I have two friends with coil babies...

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 17-Apr-15 22:43:55

Have had mirena since 2002
Best . Thing . Ever .
Haven't had a period since
saved me a fortune

hobbywidow Fri 17-Apr-15 22:49:44

Suffered with heavy debilitating periods that were just getting worse and worse. Had the Mirena fitted and now only have very light bleeding occasionally. Have gained some weight but not sure if it's a side effect or the chocolate eating blush

CheshireEditor Sat 18-Apr-15 10:09:14

Go for it. Best thing I ever did. Hideous heavy flooding and low iron, had the coil fitted and TA DAAAAA no periods at all. Life changing brilliance!

In face i am due to had a new one (every five years) and I can't wait, the insertion is not fun, but it's over a done with in a matter of moments, so worth it.

If you don't get on with it, just have it taken out, nothing to lose.

buttbott Thu 23-Jul-15 15:31:13

Hi, I'm due to have the mirena coil tomorrow for heavy periods. I've been told I'm menopausal and this should help with the lengthy and heavy periods, I've been reading different threads relating to the mirena coil and I am unsure what to do some say you could put on weight, I don't want or need that to happen I'm currently following slimming world which is working for me so far lost 1stone and 8 lbs in 20 weeks so you can see I why I am a bit worried on that side of things. Also mood swings and lack of sex drive being another, I'm mum wondering if there is an alternative solution to my heavy periods or just get on with it as being on flood wet for 2 months at a time isn't my idea of fun. sad

blibblibs Thu 23-Jul-15 15:36:46

I've had mine for 5 years now. No periods in all that time. Its due out, when they can find it, and I won't be having it replaced.

cardibach Fri 24-Jul-15 20:20:22

Not read the thread, but:
YES! YES! YES!
Has transformed my life. Can no longer imagine being without it.

cardibach Fri 24-Jul-15 20:21:30

blib why won't it be replaced? What isn't you like?

cardibach Fri 24-Jul-15 20:22:00

Didn't not isn't

blibblibs Fri 24-Jul-15 20:46:44

There are lots of things I do like about it, no periods and no thinking about contraception are probably the two main reasons but then on the other hand I think my libido has taken a nose dive due to having it helping with the contraception aspect. However its been so long I don't know if it really is that.
And having no periods is great, but I have a daughter and although its not something I would push on her I would like her to be aware that such things happen without having to sit down and tell her about them. I'd prefer it to be natural curiosity and I don't think that will happen if I never menstruate.
I gained weight after it was put in and just don't seem to be able to shift it no matter how hard I try. Again may not be due to the coil but unless its removed I'll never know. And I've grown a bread, which I definetly think is due to it. I've always had a few stray hairs but since its been in I have a full on bread that I need to shave everyday sad

Having it put in was agony too - I do have a very postierier cervix but my goodness it was agony, I couldn't go back to work after it had been put in I was in such discomfort. And now that its due out its been difficult to find. Nurse couldn't locate the strings at my last smear so I was sent to the doctor and she couldn't remove it either after having a poke about. I was sent for a scan to make sure it is still there, which it is, thankfully and had to return to the doctor to discuss the next move. Unfortunatley I've moved and will no doubt be back to where I was six months ago with an now out of date coil.

I had discussed with the nurse what my next move would be contraception wise and she suggested the copper coil which I wasn't totally against. And she was quite surprised that I hadn't been offered that at the time due to my age (was 35 was it was inserted)

All in all it hasn't been awful but all the little things added together have made it not worth replacing. But I know it works for lots of people and wouldn't like to put anybody off giving it a try, so long has you have a surgery quite happy to take it out if it doesn't agree with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now