Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cystitis? How to treat?

(13 Posts)
Janstar Sat 24-Apr-04 10:01:30

I think dd2 has cystitis, she describes a sharp pain when she does a wee. I have told her to drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Is there anything else I should do? Does she need to be taken to the doctors? She is 11 by the way.

juniper68 Sat 24-Apr-04 10:21:19

get her to take probiotics. This is good for kids who've had upset tums too. If you go to a good health store they'll advise. Otherwise those little drinks you can get will do it but they seem to work out expensive.
have you tried doing a search - children+cystitis?

juniper68 Sat 24-Apr-04 10:21:54

btw how long has she had it? Might be worth a trip to the docs just to be sure

Janstar Sat 24-Apr-04 10:23:16

Thanks juniper, I've got a bottle of probiotics capsules in the fridge so I'll dish one out now.

juniper68 Sat 24-Apr-04 10:24:23

And they're ok for children? sorry i'm ultra paranoid

discordia Sat 24-Apr-04 10:24:42

I've just had an attack of cystitis and got some stuff from the pharmacy which was really helpful. However, I think it is recommended that children should see a doctor if they have cystitis. Perhaps check with your pharmacist?

Janstar Sat 24-Apr-04 10:25:38

She's had it a few days but I didn't realise what it was till now.

Janstar Sat 24-Apr-04 10:26:42

Ok. If she is no better at the end of the weekend I will take her to the docs on monday. Thanks Juniper and discordia.

juniper68 Sat 24-Apr-04 10:33:59

YW janstar, hugs to dd and hope she's better soon

twiglett Sat 24-Apr-04 10:40:40

message withdrawn

susanmt Sat 24-Apr-04 19:51:39

Hey, my area of expertise - urinary tract!

What everyone has said about lots of fluids, especially just plain water, is the usual way to treat. But children with a UTI should be seen by a doctor. Although your daughter is 11, she is still physiologically a child in many ways, and there is a risk of kidney damage if the infection moves up from the bladder to the ureter and kidney.

Hope she's feeling better soon,

sis Sun 25-Apr-04 14:02:32

If she is still in pain try soda bicarb in water -a few glasses throughout the day- but please check with nhs direct that it is okay to give to children.

noddy5 Sun 25-Apr-04 14:55:14

take her to the doctor if it moves to the kidneys it is harder to treat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: