Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Recurring chesty cough - will the GP just send me away?

(5 Posts)
Aberchips Mon 09-Feb-15 12:09:07

I had a really nasty chesty cough for about 8 weeks before Christmas. to the point where I managed to pull muscles in my ribs coughing.
It took a long time for me to get over & I was coughing up nasty green stuff (sorry TMI!) for weeks.

I thought I'd got rid of it around the beginning of January, however for the last 2 weeks I have been feeling unwell, which turned out to be a cold which then went straight onto my chest. I have exactly the same symptoms as before.

My mum is urging me to go to the doctors, but I'm not convinced there is much they will do. Am I right?!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 09-Feb-15 12:53:00

I would go to the GP and seek medical advice. It warrants further investigation and perhaps antibiotics.

Aberchips Tue 10-Feb-15 11:09:13

Thanks Attila - rang up yesterday. Apparently they are full for this week & can fit me in next Thursday [eyeroll] otherwise I'm going to have to ring for an emergency appointment on the day. Will have to wait until Thursday now when I'm not at work.

No wonder A & E is overrun at this rate!!

Bilberry Tue 10-Feb-15 11:22:33

I think the magic number is about three weeks as that is how long a normal cold virus may take to clear and they can't do much about a virus. However, Longer than this and you may have a chest infection that needs antibiotics so go to the GP. You are always wise to get a long-term cough checked out.

Aberchips Wed 11-Feb-15 10:45:46

Finally managed to speak to the doctor this morning to be triaged & they have given me an appointment for this afternoon. Hopefully will get this knocked on the head once & for all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: