Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ow my foot..

(3 Posts)
Echocave Sun 08-Feb-15 13:14:25

Any podiatrists or drs about? I think I've broken my foot and am not sure what to do.
I've got rather a heavy tread and a puffy foot (oedema) and a couple of weeks ago I walked for ages.
After which, my foot has been really painful, on top if I wear eg trainers and it hurts to walk on tiptoe. It's not agony. I'm wondering if it's a stress fracture but is there anything to be done? I keep reading that there's nothing you can do except rest it and that the fractures don't show up on X-Rays.
Does anyone have any advice? X

QueenOfCats Mon 09-Feb-15 05:04:14

Hi Echo,

Stress fractures develop over time. If you had a stress fracture there would be some calcification around the fracture by now, which would show up on an X-ray.

If you've had the symptoms for a while and it is a stress fracture, it's constantly weakening - all you need to do is trip on the injured foot and the bone could break completely.

My advice would be go to the Gp, request an X-ray form. If X-ray is clear but symptoms still persist you can have a little dye injected into your arm and a scan of the foot, which will show up any tiny cracks or fractures in the bone.

I would play it safe with this and definitely see the Gp at least.

Good luck

Echocave Mon 09-Feb-15 16:52:05

Thank you very much for this. After a weekend of being careful there was a lot less pain. I went to the GP this morning but he seemed to think an x-Ray would be unlikely to show anything. He did however say that I should stay off it. That's easier said than done as I commute into London 4 days a week....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now