Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

New symptoms of cyclical breast pain - why?

(3 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Sat 07-Feb-15 23:02:00

Never had a problem with tenderness related to my menstrual cycle before but the last 2months I've had very painful breasts (too sore to carry something against them) from mid cycle until period starts. Have also had spotting in week run up to period (which has been going on for a long time and had gynae investigations last year which came to nothing). I suspect some hormonal change to my cycle in last few months but not sure why / what.

Wondered if it's beginning of peri-menopause, would it be helpful to go to GP and what could they do to test / treat symptoms?

I'm 40, definitely not pg (although this feels like early pg tenderness) has anyone experienced this and is there anything I can do to help.

I'd be very grateful for any words of experience / advice.

zebedeethezebra Sun 08-Feb-15 00:06:08

I've had similar for about 5 years (I'm 48). After a few years of symptoms the same as yours I then started to miss the odd period. I don't always sore breasts every month though. I've also had a period at the end of last year that lasted 2 weeks, with the first week being more spotting than actual period. From what I've read this is all pretty common and is related to peri-menopause, however I don't think it necessarily means that menopause itself is that imminent, after all, this has been going on for a while for me, but I haven't hit full menopause yet.
I can't suggest any solutions I'm afraid, I just live with it, and think its not worth stocking up on too much sanitary protection any more, even if it is on special offer! hmm

LakeFlyPie Sun 08-Feb-15 22:50:35

Thanks Zebeedee, it's reassuring to hear similar experiences.
Feels a bit disconcerting to have a change in hormonal pattern after so many years of steadiness (pregnancies excepted). 40 feels rather young to be entering peri menopause and that's why I wondered if I should get checked out by GP as my naturally hypochondriac tendencies niggled.
The prospect of this breast pain every month for years is a bit grim but haven't found anything online which looks like it reliably helps.
I get the impresssion that the hormonal swings are variable so hopefully things may settle down from month to month.

I only discovered the marvels of Mooncup in my mid 30s so hope to get a few more years of joy out of my investment grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: