Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Whooping cough

(3 Posts)
Amber76 Sat 07-Feb-15 20:03:18

How contagious is it?
My friends 5 week old baby has it. I would like to help her family (mind older kids, etc.) - I wouldn't be in contact with the baby who is in hospital.
I have a 7 week old baby. Would it be risky?
Thanks
I had whooping cough myself as a baby.

Gunpowder Sat 07-Feb-15 20:14:03

You sound like a lovely friend and maybe check with your HV/GP, but I wouldn't want to expose your DD to whooping cough at such a young age and before she's been vaccinated. Not worth the risk IMO. Tiny babies still die from whooping cough.

yellowdaisies Sat 07-Feb-15 20:17:23

I would think it would depend whether the rest of her family have been vaccinated. Of they have they shouldn't catch it so you'd be fine having contact with them. But I wouldn't take your baby near them if any of them haven't been vaccinated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: