Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bleeding after sex - should I be as worried as I am?

(21 Posts)
paulapantsdown Sat 07-Feb-15 15:47:42

So obv I'm going to be on the phone to the GP first thing Monday, but can anyone tell me what might cause this apart from cervical cancer?!

I know I shouldn't have DrGoogled, but I did.

As well as the bleeding this morning, which seems to have stopped now, I have a sort of dull ache, a bit like period pain in my lower abdomen all day. I've had some stomach/abdomen pain for a while, but I've put it down to an really bad IBS flare up the last few (very stressful) weeks.

Does anyone have any experience?

Rockchick1984 Sat 07-Feb-15 15:49:08

I had bleeding after sex caused by cervical erosion - sounds awful but nothing to worry about and a minor procedure to fix it.

DealForTheKids Sat 07-Feb-15 15:50:11

Mine was caused by a simple case of BV (Bacterial Vaginosis) so try not to panic!

hairylittlegoblin Sat 07-Feb-15 15:51:57

I'd second cervical ectropion. Annoying but harmless. Often needs no treatment at all.

Are you up to date with smear tests?

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Sat 07-Feb-15 15:55:31

I've also had this, and it was cervical erosion, caused by back-to-backing pill packets and harmless, went away by itself. So, def get it checked out, but don't start panicking right away. Hope it all goes ok

babyiwantabump Sat 07-Feb-15 16:02:20

Ovarian cyst caused mine

paulapantsdown Sat 07-Feb-15 16:08:54

Thanks for your quick replies. Let's hope I've got the mildly annoying/unpleasant erosion then!

I think last smear a couple of years ago. How frequent are they supposed to be again?

zippyandbungle Sat 07-Feb-15 16:14:58

I bled after sex for a few months, had a smear and a whole host of tests which all came back non conclusive. It doesn't happen anymore. Don't worry but best to see your GP.

CurbsideProphet Sat 07-Feb-15 16:16:57

I've had exactly the same experience recently - bleeding after sex/stomach ache/IBS flare up. My GP was quite uninterested, but I asked for a gynae referral. Gynaecologist has organised pelvic scan and is going to use a camera to look at my cervix up close. I've also had my smear to be on the safe side.

Snugglepiggy Sat 07-Feb-15 19:09:50

I had slight bleeding after sex several times last year and because I was perimenopuasal with more erratic periods was never sure if it was menstrual bleeding.However after sex one night I bled alarmingly heavily and it just didn't stop - for days - so my GP fast tracked me as a cancer risk.Thankfully it turned out to be two uterine polyps that I had removed under GA as a day case.That was 7 weeks ago and fingers crossed I have not bled since then, and feel brilliant in comparison to last year.The biopsy from the polyps came back clear.So try not to panic - it hopefully won't be anything sinister,and easily sorted.

JennieR60 Sat 07-Feb-15 20:34:35

I used to have quite a lot of bleeding after sex. In fact I still do sometimes. My was caused by cervical erosion. Smears and swabs all done back fine. X

WineWineWine Sat 07-Feb-15 20:38:21

Another one with cervical erosion here. Bit of a pain and we have to be careful to avoid certain positions now to avoid bleeding, but I've been fully checked out and it's not a long term problem.
Get it checked, but please don't worry.

AuntieStella Sat 07-Feb-15 20:44:57

Polyps. They're almost always benign, and quick and painless to remove.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Feb-15 20:47:23

Mine was a polyp too. Didn't even need an anaesthetic to remove it.

ByeByeButterfly Sat 07-Feb-15 20:54:50

How old are you?

I have PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) which is basically when bacteria from your vagina goes up to your ovaries and above. Normally symptomless but after a while some symptoms include bleeding between periods, bleeding and pain during sex, stomach pain and hip/pelvis discomfort.

I am 25 and apparently it's more common in 18-25 age range as often it's spread by sexual activity - could it be this?

NB: When they told me I was worried due to the word 'disease' but it's not too bad antibiotics do get rid of it though the longer you leave it the worse it can get.

paulapantsdown Sat 07-Feb-15 21:53:55

Thanks so much everyone, you have reassured me that I'm not at deaths door! I will ask the GP about polyps and erosion. Thats interesting CurbsideProphet about the IBS connection.

I'm actually approaching 50 ByeByeButterfly, but I've had recurring bladder/urine infections over the last few years, so I'm wondering if the germs/bacteria have got up where they shouldn't have!

thanks again

Ledkr Sat 07-Feb-15 22:00:01

Polyp caused me to bleed very heavily. Few hours in hospital never seen agsin

Smurfingreat Sat 07-Feb-15 22:08:35

Depends on your age. It doesn't happen to me anymore, but when I was in my 20's used to happen all the time. The FPC told me it was due to cells that would normally grow in the uterus growing on the outside of my cervix and bleeding when knocked and nothing to worry about. In all likelihood it is nothing serious and sure the doctors will find an unscary cause of yours. x

aimeea Sun 08-Feb-15 18:20:38

Oh my goodness I've just posted an almost identical post!! I'm with you on the panicking... damn you Google!!

BumgrapesofWrath Sun 08-Feb-15 18:28:35

Another one who had this and thought the worst - it was an erosion, ended up getting it cauterized (with ice), which wasn't as unpleasant as it sounds.

WorriedMouse Sun 08-Feb-15 19:05:48

I was the same last weekend. I had mid cycle bleeding and was convinced it was bad news. I saw the doctor first thing on Monday. She didn't examine me at all or ask many questions she just seemed happy that it's a one off and I'm fine. I'm not reassured though - I am analysing every twinge and becoming obsessive about it and a real pain to live with. I guess I have to see if it happens next month and push for more if it happens again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now