Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Does this sound like a wonky thyroid?

(4 Posts)
ITrulyMoustache Sat 07-Feb-15 07:56:33

Hi all,

For a couple of years now I've been suffering off and on with periods of epic night sweating. I suffer badly with the cold especially in my hands and feet, even when inside my house with the heating on - its almost like I'm cold in my bones. I can wear thermal socks and fingerless gloves inside and still feel cold all the way through. But if I can keep my hands and feet from getting cold then I am over hot, and I think this is what's happening at night - that I'm managing to get my extremities warm and therefore the rest of my body is boiling and therefore sweating.

I have had my tsh tested twice and have been told both times they're normal, though I have just found out that my original result was borderline and suspect the latest lot are too (need to get GP to confirm that). I also suspect my ferritin levels are low, because they pretty much always are unless I'm on iron treatment.

Does anyone else get this? And is this normal for someone with thyroid issues or could this be something else (like me being random confused)?

tia

nottheOP Sat 07-Feb-15 08:01:41

Thyroid issues have a lot of effects such as weight gain/loss, fatigue, mood.

Not sure about the night sweats but dm has an under active thyroid and she was always freezing.

Has your gp looked at all your blood work?

ITrulyMoustache Sat 07-Feb-15 08:55:06

I have a lot of the other symptoms of thyroid issues, although they also cross over with anaemia symptoms so I'm obviously not 100% sure at the moment.

Problem was that last time I was told by a receptionist not to come back in as results were normal and Dr had noted no further action. Turns out that wasn't the case hmm. So this time I don't trust them unless I see or speak to a gp!

Have only just noticed the correlation between overheating/feeling freezing and my extremities and am just wondering if I'm extra odd.

PoshPenny Sat 07-Feb-15 17:03:29

You are entitled to copies of your blood test results under data protection act. I would suggest you get copies, you may find them very informative.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: