Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

High cholesterol management

(5 Posts)
Spocksmum Fri 06-Feb-15 11:45:45

Just been told by the GP that I have 'high cholesterol' (5.5 - whatever that means) and need to eat a low cholesterol diet. I thought my diet was already v low in cholesterol and so I'm confused about how to proceed.

I'm currently dieting and eating around 950 kcals a day only - but not losing ANY weight at all (5ft 7in and 12 st). I'm mostly a vegetarian and eat meals based around vegetables but also have eggs and cheese. Don't eat bread/pasta or any sweet foods. Don't drink alcohol and don't smoke.

How should I respond to the 'high cholesterol' diagnosis? Should I be worried? How can I cut out even more foods, when I'm eating minimally anyway and my only real protein is from eggs and cheese?

paxtecum Fri 06-Feb-15 11:53:55

Cut out cheese and eggs.
Replace with beans (not baked), avocados, walnuts, cashews.
These all have protein in.
Eat 2-4 cloves of garlic everyday.
Use olive oil.

You can buy tins or cartons of ready cooked beans and lentils in any supermarket.
Google cholesterol reducing foods. Don't eat low fat processed foods.

Edenviolet Fri 06-Feb-15 11:56:54

Dd2 (5) has high cholesterol, I give her a flora pro activ drink each day

florentina1 Fri 06-Feb-15 12:43:01

Your diet sounds similar to mine and my chlorestorol is higher than yours. Doctor said some people just do have it and not to worry if you feel healthy .

Sorry but I don't agree with cutting out eggs and cheese . Eaten in moderation they are Healthy foods.

RockinD Fri 06-Feb-15 12:47:26

Check out Dr Malcolm Kendrick "The Great Cholesterol Con" before you do anything! Total cholesterol of 5.5 is not over high.

If you’re not losing weight on 950 calories a day, you’re either not eating enough, or you might want to get your thyroid checked. Inability to lose weight is a classic symptom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: