Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cough/cold for weeks, now pain under ribs

(4 Posts)
PaddyBearinTown Wed 04-Feb-15 23:27:47

I've had a bad cough and cold for about 5 weeks now. Saw the GP 2 weeks ago and they said my chest was clear, but I'm still coughing up lots of phlegm (sorry tmi).

Since Sunday I've had pain under my ribs, on the left side. It's worse when I cough or breathe in deeply, and it helps if I press into that side when I have a coughing fit. I seem to have made it worse today through the coughing.

Any ideas what this could be? And whether I need to go back to the GP? I'm hoping I can just wait it out as I felt like I was wasting their time at my last appointment.

allypally999 Thu 05-Feb-15 08:55:39

I sprained my chest wall once coughing - took ages to get that diagnosis though - I would get it checked out just in case - I know what you mean re time wasting - all these things that say "consult GP" are a joke as they just look at you as if you are the biggest hypochondriac ever

Maybe we need new gps lol

Oh and no treatment for above - it just gets better eventually

TanteRose Thu 05-Feb-15 08:59:38

could be pleurisy - get it checked out

PaddyBearinTown Thu 05-Feb-15 09:35:01

Thanks for replying.
I've just googled pleurisy and it sounds like it could be that. From what I've read, though, pleurisy caused by a virus is just treated with ibuprofen, so it doesn't seem like I need to see a GP yet? I'm thinking about waiting a few days to see if it clears up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: