Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

HPV vaccine for 33 year old lady? Was abroad so vaccine not offered in my country.

(11 Posts)
mumznet Wed 04-Feb-15 21:57:50

Just realised I never got this vaccine after seeing children being offered this vaccine in school these days. Do I need to get it from my GP or is there no need to get it anymore?

SnowwyJane Thu 05-Feb-15 06:34:26

Well most people have the HVP virus but you wouldn't know because they have no warts or anything.
If you are concerned the best place is to ask your GP

SpottyTeacakes Thu 05-Feb-15 06:35:54

It's relatively new over here only people under the age of about 20 have routinely been offered it. I don't know anyone who's had it, apart from my younger sister.

Marmot75 Thu 05-Feb-15 06:40:51

I also think there's a good chance you have already been exposed to the virus if you've been sexually active. That's why it's offered to children here. The vaccination only been available in recent years so most adults in the UK won't have had it. Please speak to your doctor if you're worried.

AuntieStella Thu 05-Feb-15 06:57:30

The vaccine doesn't work if you have already been exposed to the virus.

This is why it is routinely given to girls well before the age when they are likely to have become sexually active (and I think it should be given to boys too).

If you went to a private provider, they might give it anyway (no additional risk in doing it late, just uncertain benefit).

PooersMummy Thu 05-Feb-15 08:44:52

The vaccine protects against a couple of strains (depending on brand). Some strains cause warts - they don't cause cancer. There are about 20 (I think) higher risk strains that cause cancer, so the vaccine would protect you from the most prevalent most risky ones 16 and 18 I believe, but you are still at risk from the others. I had pre-cancerous cells removed and was offered the vaccine by my consultant (privately) but he agreed that there was little point being as I had a different strain (there was concern that my husband and I were perhaps passing it between us hence the reason my body didn't overcome it like most people do).
Instead I gave up smoking! The consultant told me that most people clear the virus and it is smokers that don't. He has a clinic for people with recurrent problems and they are usually smokers who can't give up. [obviously this doesn't account for everyone in that situation but wanted to point it out because it could really really make a difference to someone's life]

mumznet Thu 05-Feb-15 11:42:31

well done pooersMummy!!, good job to give up smoking. it can also raise cholesterol more cancer risks etc, so you must be in good health . its good to know that many people are trying to give up smoking.

DropYourSword Thu 05-Feb-15 11:45:17

If you've already had unprotected sex there's pretty much no point.

Notrevealingmyidentity Thu 05-Feb-15 11:54:03

Unless you are a Virgin there is no point.
HPV can be spread even using condoms. As I have discovered.

SnowwyJane Thu 05-Feb-15 15:27:17

Yeah it is true that condoms do not protect you from the virus but you can come into contact with the virus without having sex anyway, the majority of the human population will have the virus without even knowing

PooersMummy Thu 05-Feb-15 15:33:49

Thank you Mumznet! I'm so glad I did - that was three years ago now and I feel like a non-smoker now after smoking for 15 years.
DropYourSword and NotRevealing my identity - I guess it could be worth it - the strains the vaccine covers account for the vast majority of cervical cancers so they are very nasty. For me it wasn't worth it as I'm married so probably only at risk from the strain I had removed which isn't covered by the vaccine. I might have considered it if I'd been single in case of future infection. Annoying that they can't test men for it isn't it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now