Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

child with meningitis at nursery

(3 Posts)
cherriesandberries Wed 04-Feb-15 19:24:14

Hi everyone. I'm just writing this post just to get some information as I've not managed to get a proper answer from doctors I have spoke to.

A child at nursery has come down with meningitis and is supposed to be quite poorly. He has been in hospital since weekend. We had a letter this morning about it and nursery said that the health department had said there is no greater risk to the nursery children and staff than there is to the rest of the population.

It made me a bit nervous to be honest and we took her out for the day and took her to her grandmas. I am not really clued up on meningitis and despite trying to read alot online I still have a lot of questions.

I just really wanted to know if it is safe for her to go in (nursery says it is) but I really don't want to chance it if there is any risk.

How long does meningitis stay in the environment? Is there an added risk when most of the children are putting things in their mouths etc.

Also, does anybody know what the incubation period is or could children be carriers but not show any symptoms? It has been 5 days since and no other children have got sick so does this mean the coast is clear?

Anybody with any info then please let me know. I don't want to overreact but at the same time I just want to be safe because I don't really know much about it.

beautifulgirls Wed 04-Feb-15 21:14:28

The nursery will have been given information from the local public health authority and their advice will be based on sound research and protocol. Of course you should always be vigilant, but at this stage it is very unlikely to be a problem to your child.

If you have questions www.meningitis.org/ is a very helpful resource and are always happy to take phone calls with questions too.

I hope the child who is affected makes a good recovery.

cherriesandberries Thu 05-Feb-15 08:37:24

Thanks a lot. I think I will take her in today. That site link was great and exactly what I was trying to find, it's give me a bit more confidence to take her in and not feel like I'm doing the wrong thing.

Hopefully the child gets better soon. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: