Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DS not sleeping, waiting for referral for melatonin - anything over the counter i can use?

(15 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Mon 02-Feb-15 12:38:20

Ds is 10 and has autism. Hes never slept well but combined with increased anxiety making it worse we are both absolutely shattered.

Is there anything like nytol that would be suitable?? We will be waiting ages to see paeditrician again and we cant go on like this. sad

Nerf Mon 02-Feb-15 12:52:42

We were given a very small supply and a lot of advice about sleep hygiene, things like no screens after half six. So you may find that the appointment doesn't actually result in a prescription for long.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 02-Feb-15 13:18:31

It has been offered before (melatonin) and i passed as was wary but feel its worth a try now, his tiredness is affecting his mood, school, and so on and hes actually begged for help with getting to sleep. Have done sleep workshops and things before, so am already aware of that side and have those steps in place already. Is your dc autistic nerf? Have u found anything that helps?

Nerf Mon 02-Feb-15 13:35:35

Hi yes he is, aged 12 now. I have actually found that cutting screens to an 8pm switch off (can't manage 6.30 yet!) has worked well, and an enforced side light not main light and reading in bed has helped. Also set aside time to talk about worries - so he used to come in all the time to talk at me and now knows we will cover it at a given time.

YourHandInMyHand Mon 02-Feb-15 13:57:17

We do no screens after 7, night light, reads in bed, worry keeper, lavender/camomile products, etc. Im at my wits end to be honest. sad

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 02-Feb-15 14:13:51

Research blue glasses, we have used them for half an hour in the morning to switch off melatonin correctly by activating the pituitary. This then means that the darkness in the evenings switches the melatonin on correctly.
It's been very effective for us grin,

Westendgal Mon 02-Feb-15 14:14:15

Can he concentrate enough to listen to a cd? The Paul McKenna one is very soothing and hypnotic. Look on you tube. It's called I can make you sleep. The book is excellent, too, but may not be relevant for your DS.

Nerf Mon 02-Feb-15 14:18:43

Oh poor you, maybe make sure you explain all that at the appointment to pre empt any suggestions about alternatives?
We didn't use the melatonin as id been told by a gp about a link with LD . As I never found anything about this on the net I suspect it wasn't true at all.

highlighta Mon 02-Feb-15 14:30:49

Can you not buy Melatonin over the counter? I am not in UK though, and we can, i have bought in the past and used successfully. My ds has adhd and not autism though.

ssunniebear Tue 03-Feb-15 22:38:19

Does your DS have dificulties falling or staying asleep. Oats, cherries and turkey help the body produce melatonin. Is your DS's sleep any better at different points in the year. Maybe a walk outside in the morning witth arms exposed if weather permits to switch off melatonin production.

YourHandInMyHand Tue 03-Feb-15 23:15:34

Not heard of blue glasses will have a look.
He won't listen to CDs or radio, he needs visuals to accompany any information to help him process it.

He has difficulties with both ssunniebear. He also has a food phobia - I would cry with happiness if he would consider even one of those foods but alas he has a rather restricted diet!

UPDATE: We now have a prescription for melatonin has magically appeared at the GP's surgery. It's amazing what a load of tedious phone calls and logging people's names and times of calls can do. Really hope it helps him and kick starts a better sleep cycle as I am at the end of my tether!

westcoastnortherner Tue 03-Feb-15 23:17:13

Melatonin is fab, I just buy over the counter here

nooyearnooname Tue 03-Feb-15 23:24:45

You can buy melatonin on the internet, I've done so several time (am in the UK). I also use the blue Nytols (as opposed to the green box herbal ones) and find them very good, but not sure if they are recommended for children...

QOD Tue 03-Feb-15 23:25:23

I came home with a years supply from the usa, says not for under 18's but my American friends had used occasionally for kids.
I love it.

westcoastnortherner Thu 05-Feb-15 16:17:04

My child's pedeatrician recommended it for my child. (Who has adhd.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now