Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Acupuncture - good, or snake oil?

(32 Posts)
LindyHemming Sun 01-Feb-15 17:05:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WowOoo Sun 01-Feb-15 17:21:01

I have and at the time I thought I'd been fleeced. I wasn't 100% convinced that there was a major improvement.
Saying that - I did feel much better and had the best nights' sleep I'd had for ages. So I went again and -whether it was placebo effect I have no idea - I started to really feel better.

It was for tension in the neck/shoulders and general stress/anxiety. I was told I had a lot of tension and knots in my neck.

I'd go again if I had the spare cash. Actually, I'd go for a proper massage. Depends what you want it for I suppose.

LindyHemming Sun 01-Feb-15 17:21:59

LidlMermaid Sun 01-Feb-15 17:31:40

It certainly works for my dogs' arthritis and other joint problems. no placebo effect with dogs either. You either see an improvement or you don't.

hiddenhome Sun 01-Feb-15 17:49:56

When I went she told me to lie down on the couch. She told me to describe how I was feeling, and then proceeded to insert some needles into my scalp. I immediately felt very heavy and relaxed, then she inserted two more and I felt even better and started giggling. I just couldn't help it. She hadn't warned me that this would happen and I didn't expect to feel like that at all, so it definitely did something.

callamia Sun 01-Feb-15 17:53:57

I don't care, it made me feel amazing. I was nearly 42 weeks pregnant and thoroughly fed up, tired and miserable. I felt like a cloud afterwards, and went into labour the next day. I don't really attribute the labour onset to it (the sweep more like), but it did make me feel a whole lot nicer.

ChuckNovice Sun 01-Feb-15 17:56:22

They offer it for pregnant women at my local hospital on the NHS so must be something worthwhile in it.

QueenofWhatever Sun 01-Feb-15 17:57:57

I get it on the NHS for pain management. It definitely works for me, and also features in some NICE guidelines. So yes, definitely more than snake oil.

SirVixofVixHall Sun 01-Feb-15 17:59:01

It isn't snake oil! Has well documented effects. I have had strong reactions to accupunture and as a pp said, my old dog had it (given by our vet) and it had a great effect on him, so worth trying I think.

janesaysl Sun 01-Feb-15 18:09:09

Haven't tried it. I did try homeopathy for eczema some years ago, now that is snake oil! Useless

PeaStalks Sun 01-Feb-15 18:11:01

I tried it when pregnant for hyperemesis on the grounds that it would do no harm.
I came to the conclusion that you probably have to believe in it for it to work.

WowOoo Mon 02-Feb-15 10:25:15

I can't remember how much it cost,sorry.

It might help with insomnia as would an aromatherapy or shiatsu massage. Well, you'd hopefully feel a lot more relaxed. Not sure about the sweats.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Feb-15 11:21:22

Its worked amazingly well for me for pain control and tendonitis, when everything else had failed. I am so not woo at all, but it works.

I pay £30 an hour with a private physio who does the acupuncture as part of the treatments.

meglet Mon 02-Feb-15 11:28:24

I've had it twice, 10 yrs apart for different reasons. Both times I found it unbearably painful though confused , and I can cope with waxing, giving blood and tattoos. very odd.

It seemed to start my labour with ds. I was 37 weeks and trying to avoid induction for leaking waters. had the apt at 5pm and labour was under way by 9pm.

goshhhhhh Mon 02-Feb-15 11:31:02

My dh has had it for plantar fasciitis. The GP did it so he thinks it works

dogrilla Mon 02-Feb-15 11:34:02

I had it after problems conceiving. After first session I had the worst period-type pains I'd ever had, which must have been my ovaries cranking into action, because I then got pregnant immediately. I hadn't expected to have such a physical reaction to it.

sashh Mon 02-Feb-15 18:48:49

My GP does it, I've had it a couple of times when my arthritis flares up. I'd find out about the local NHS options before paying.

TheTravellingLemon Mon 02-Feb-15 18:55:35

My mum had it on the NHS. It was really fantastic. Genuinely helped painful arthritis.

HoneyIsBeePoo Mon 02-Feb-15 18:59:33

I went for night sweats!

I went for about 8 sessions 5 years ago, then another 8 sessions just before Christmas as symptoms had crept back.

It was £45 a session but I would have paid double, I find it so useful.

DishwasherDogs Mon 02-Feb-15 19:04:45

Acupuncture got me out of a stress induced asthma rut.
I had a course when I was twelve and had spent the previous 5 years off and on steroids. After acupuncture it was then 15 years before I needed steroids again.
Another course sorted out another rut, when I was constantly struggling to breathe, had no energy and looked grey. After the first session I felt like my cheeks were burning, and everyone started commenting how I was looking much healthier.
Definitely not snake oil.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 02-Feb-15 19:08:19

I've had it done and it did absolutely nothing for me (I wasn't expecting it to). And the acupuncturist diagnosed me with stuff that was a load of bollocks - kind of trying to do a cold reading.

And I wasn't allowed to give blood for years afterwards which was a PITA I hadn't considered.

goodasitgets Mon 02-Feb-15 21:38:43

Helped a ligament injury I had. When the needles were taken out my knee went painful again! Almost begged her to leave them in

LindyHemming Tue 03-Feb-15 07:07:23

pinkfrocks Tue 03-Feb-15 09:44:59

I think it's like lots of things- practitioners differ and you need to find a good 'un!

WowOoo Tue 03-Feb-15 10:07:33

Try it, but go to GP also. You poor thing.

I too have cried in the middle of the night from not being able to sleep.It's a horrible feeling. flowers (lovely crocuses...spring is around the corner and all that)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: