Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Recovery from gallbladder surgery

(7 Posts)
lotsofcheese Fri 30-Jan-15 22:22:55

I'm due to have my gallbladder removed within a couple of weeks, by laparoscopic surgery. I'll be in hospital overnight.

I'm dreading the recovery, as I have a 21-month old DD who is very clingy & constantly wants picked up. DP will be around for the 1st 10 days or so, but works long hours &'away 1-2 days a week. We have no family nearby. So I'll be on my own after the first 10 days.

How have others got on? Was the recovery straightforward? Any advice? Thanks.

lotsofcheese Sat 31-Jan-15 11:28:47

ChaosK Sat 31-Jan-15 12:40:26

I'm here!! I made a fast recovery from laparascopic gall bladder surgery. Took it easy for a couple of days then back to normal....didn't really have much choice as DS was 18 months at the time. Don't worry - keyhole surgery is much easier to recover from than the old style - and life without a gallbladder is fine. Good luck!

trickynicky Sat 31-Jan-15 13:47:46

Took me just a couple of days! Nothing to worry about honestly.
Good luck!

lotsofcheese Sat 31-Jan-15 16:13:01

Excellent to hear these quick recovery stories! I've had 2 Caesarians & reckon it can't be as bad as that!

Can I ask what advice you were given about lifting? DD is 22m & not a lightweight.

owainsmum Sat 31-Jan-15 18:38:59

I had a laparoscopy yesterday, to remove a missing coil, so not as bad as gall bladder. For about 24 hours my chest and shoulders were very painful ( from the gas they pump into your abdomen) but I've been ok this afternoon. My baby is 8 months and I can lift her but it hurts a bit so you may need to wait a couple of days before lifting a bigger baby. Good luck, hope it goes well for you smile

TapStepBallChange Sat 31-Jan-15 21:25:03

I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago. I was told no heavy lifting for 6 weeks, but I've OK with all day to day stuff for the last week or so. Overall I feel fine, the pain was worst about 24-72 hours after the op, keep taking the painkillers. The advice I was given was to keep taken them as long as they recommended, even if I felt I didn;t need them. The main issue is tiredness, I'm only just now able to get through the day without a nap, so try to have a few duvet and DVD days at home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now