Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

to put my 2 year old on formula

(16 Posts)
judgejudithjudy Fri 30-Jan-15 17:38:03

As she won't drink cows milk?

confusedandemployed Fri 30-Jan-15 17:38:54

Does she eat cheese, yoghurt, cream etc?

BMO Fri 30-Jan-15 17:39:41

Does she need to drink cow's milk at 2? Is her diet generally poor?

seaoflove Fri 30-Jan-15 17:40:14

Would she be any more likely to drink formula?

My DD is 3.5 and pretty much stopped drinking milk of any kind at ten months. I didn't worry about it - she's shockingly fussy in SO many ways, but hasn't died of malnutrition yet.

PoppySausage Fri 30-Jan-15 17:41:07

I would go for more natural dairy as opposed to powdered formula

Quitelikely Fri 30-Jan-15 17:41:32

I think it's fine. You can buy it for 1-3 year olds, packed with lots of vitamins too!

AuntieStella Fri 30-Jan-15 17:46:33

If she doesn't like drinking milk, changing to modified milk probably won't make any difference.

As long as she has a balanced diet without it (easy if she likes cheese, yogurt etc) then just give other drinks.

Fairylea Fri 30-Jan-15 17:50:50

I add a spoonful of strawberry milkshake powder to the milk - ds 2.7 won't touch it otherwise and won't eat any other dairy. I know I'll probably get flamed for that but I don't think it's much different than a sugary yoghurt or a cake as a treat etc. It does have added vitamins as well.

iwantgin Fri 30-Jan-15 18:18:12

It doesn't matter if she won't drink cows milk.

Calcium can be obtained from many sources .

I haven't touched dairy - occasional piece of cheese aside -since a young child -blame the free school milk .

littlejohnnydory Fri 30-Jan-15 18:42:56

My two year old has never drunk cow's milk. She stopped breastfeeding just after she turned two and just never accepted other milk. I just don't worry about it, she has plenty of dairy. She'd fill up on it anyway and not eat her meals. I personally wouldn't give her formula as I'd much rather she got her nutrients from food.

stargirl1701 Fri 30-Jan-15 18:46:37

Toddler milk is very high in sugar.

sanfairyanne Fri 30-Jan-15 19:32:44

why bother? you could always make sauces, pancakes, scones etc with milk or just find calcium sources she doesnt mind

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 30-Jan-15 19:39:09

its a con. A two year old doesn't heed formula. There are yogurts and cheese and sauces and vegetables that all the vitamins and minerals can be gotten from.

cows milk is overrated. In fact kids can become anaemic from.drinking too much or filling up on milk.

popflos Fri 30-Jan-15 23:18:54

toddlerwrangling Fri 30-Jan-15 23:22:49

My DD (who was BF until 2) hasn't ever drunk a drop of cows' milk or formula - she won't touch it and never has no matter what we do. She will put away any amount of yoghurt, sour cream, cheese, milk in porridge etc. so I don't worry at all grin

bellybuttonfairy Sun 01-Feb-15 22:42:34

It's not really needed, despite the milk companies making us think it is. Naturally and nutritionally its meant for baby calves - not weaned children!
Just let her eat a varied diet and she will get all nutrients required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now