Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

my period is a week late but I am not pregnant.

(10 Posts)
sliceofsoup Fri 30-Jan-15 17:18:23

I just POAS to be sure but I knew it was very unlikely. My period usually starts every 28-32 days, its a week late calculated from 32 days.

This happened once before about 3.5 years ago. It came eventually, but my GP just said it was down to my weight as I am overweight.

I will admit that my diet could be better, but I have been tracking my food with MFP. Brutal honesty, weighing the food etc etc and I am still coming up 200+ calories under what it says I should be eating.

Lately I have felt really drained all of the time, and constantly cold. But apart from that, I don't have any other complaints.

Could low iron make a period late?

Bunbaker Fri 30-Jan-15 17:20:49

How old are you?

sliceofsoup Fri 30-Jan-15 17:27:39

CatsAreLikeChocolates Fri 30-Jan-15 17:31:14

Have you had your thyroid checked? Sounds like all the same symptoms I had before a blood test showed my thyroid gland was under-active. Might be worth a trip to the GP?

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 30-Jan-15 17:35:24

I would also pay a visit to the GP to have blood tests done. Your thyroid gland being underactive may be the root cause of such problems.

sliceofsoup Fri 30-Jan-15 17:56:10

I had it checked the last time it happened. It was ok then but I realise that these things change.

I did read that sometimes GPs will say its ok because its just within range, but is actually still a problem. Is this true?

KindleFancy Sat 31-Jan-15 15:46:54

I'm also experiencing a lack of period atm. My usual cycle is about 32 days...I'm currently on day 44 and still nothing.

I'm definitely not pregnant (done 4 tests!) and this has never happened before.

When should you go to the doctors if it just doesn't happen?

sliceofsoup Sat 31-Jan-15 16:20:56

I am now on day 40 and still don't feel like its close. I doubt I will get an appointment before it eventually comes.

The last time I went to the docs she really didn't care. But that might just have been her being a crap doc. I don't see the same one twice in a row.

If you have a good GP just try to get an appointment next week sometime.

Over a week late is definitely odd if they are usually regular IMO.

Mumtotherescueagain Sat 31-Jan-15 16:32:01

Are you very stressed atm? That can definitely throw things though goodness knows how. Personally I've never missed a period despite being overweight and much as doctors like to witter about weight affecting ovulation that's only been in the case of the thin persons I know, not the fat.

sliceofsoup Sat 31-Jan-15 16:45:09

Nope. No stress. We are doing the best we have ever done actually.

The weight thing, I am overweight but I can't see how it would affect it on two separate months, and not the other months of the years I have been this weight.

It felt like a cop out then and I still think thats what it was. When I was depressed last year the GP, a different one, tried to tell me I would feel better if I lost weight. Err no shit sherlock, but I have been overweight for years and depressed for 9 months since I gave birth. My weight was irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: