Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

(13 Posts)
Iloveaverycosheshubbahubba Fri 30-Jan-15 10:49:25

I have rosacea and it's more advanced than just flushing. I tried reducing the antibiotics but my whole face has flared with huge red,painful,ugly spots and lumps. Is this normal for them to be so painful? I know it's not the worst thing in the world but my already low self esteem is now crashing further as it's really unsightly. Any opinions or advice welcome.

Mylittlepotofjoy Fri 30-Jan-15 12:40:40

Use a cream called dermalex from boots. Touch wood it seems really good .lots of sympathy as I know how depressing rosacea is

Thumbwitch Fri 30-Jan-15 12:45:37

I know this probably isn't the sort of advice you're after but have you tried not eating sugar of any kind?
I only have mild rosacea, but when I am low-carbing it disappears completely.
My mother got rosacea a few years before she was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, so I believe there is a link.

This link to a rosacea forum seems to bear me out in that belief.
Hope it helps!

ppeatfruit Fri 30-Jan-15 13:58:04

That's good advice Thumbwitch how are you? grin.

I got a spot on my nose, that won't go, after eating blackened (barbecued) courgettes.

I'm very careful with my diet but I know if I eat peppery food or vinegar I get a red face, so stay away from them.

I find that rosemary essential oil mixed with filtered water is effective for spots and redness, as is lavender ess. oil. I put it on before going to bed and then use a colloidal silver rinse.

Thumbwitch Fri 30-Jan-15 14:53:29

I'm well thanks, ppeat - suffering a bit with LC Bootcamp just now, but surviving! And losing weight (and no rosacea or other spots - so bonus!) smile

ppeatfruit Fri 30-Jan-15 15:55:46

Have you had a look at the Hay diet that I mentioned?

I'm low carb (no wheat basically) but no problems because I' m on the Paul Mackenna, that examines the when why and how of eating, which is for life and I lost ALL the weight I wanted to !

Petitgrain Fri 30-Jan-15 16:01:28

Do you take a vitamin supplement? I took them and had worsening rosacea for years. Then I read online that Vitamin B6 can trigger it. Stopped the supplements and the rosacea disappeared within a few days. I recently had a flare up and thought it must be because I'm unwell anyway at the moment, then my DP looked at the yogurty drink things I've been taking to try to feel better, and they've got B6 added. I stopped them on Monday and rosacea all gone by yesterday. Worth a try?

Petitgrain Fri 30-Jan-15 16:02:48

Oh and yes to the self-esteem lowering and general misery-making of rosacea. It's just one more fecking Thing to deal with isn't it.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Fri 30-Jan-15 16:06:53

Try finacea 15% gel. You'll need to get it from your GP but it really works for me

Msdj Fri 30-Jan-15 16:17:46

I have acne rosacea. I take the antibiotic Doxyclycline. It takes a few months to work but once it did start to work i haven't had a problem or flare up since.

ppeatfruit Fri 30-Jan-15 16:22:12

I wouldn't take AB's for it . THere's so much publicity now about them being ineffective when needed for serious things like pneumonia because of everyone's long term use.

You'd be amazed how effective the silver spray is Msdj

LoonvanBoon Fri 30-Jan-15 17:09:20

I have rosacea too, very calm ATM though, & mainly redness / flushing, with a few papules thrown in. Have taken antibiotics in the past - clarithromycin in my case, shown in various studies to be as effective as tetracyclines, which I'm allergic to. I'd certainly take it again if necessary.

Which antibiotic are you on, OP? If you can tolerate tetracyclines, you should be offered low-dose - not standard strength - doxycycline. It's called oracea in the US, efracia here in the UK I think. It works at a submicrobial level so there aren't the same issues with antibiotic efficacy & overuse. Antibiotics work for rosacea because they tackle the inflammation, not because of their actual antibiotic activity.

You should be offered a topical treatment as well as oral antibiotics if things are bad. Finacea (azelaic acid) worked wonders for me, & I still use it. Metrogel / metrocream work for some people, though going on anecdotal evidence only I'd suggest finacea is better.

Some people's rosacea does seem to respond to dietary changes. For others - including me - there's no discernible connection.

When I was first diagnosed I tried tonnes of stuff - supplements, oils, creams, etc. etc. Nothing had any obvious effect except that some of the essential oils caused dreadful reactions. Oh, & I wasted lots of money. grin I still take a multivitamin, probiotics & fish oils, & stick to a very simple skincare routine. I'd strongly advise introducing only one major change at a time and observing the effects carefully. And I wouldn't stop a prescribed treatment at the same time as trying something new, which again just muddies the waters. You end up not having a clue what's doing what.

Oh, & there's the whole issue about demodex mites, too, and whether they are involved in the condition. They're found in greater numbers than normal on the skin of people with rosacea, but they also are in other inflamed skin conditions, so it's a bit of a chicken / egg thing. If they are involved, it does seem that they're more likely to be a factor in the Type 2 rosacea you have (involving spots) than in the Type 1 redness / flushing subtype. May be worth discussing with your GP if s/he is clued up. I have heard of people trying oral anti-mite treatments, under medical supervision.

If the oral antibiotic / topical combination don't improve matters significantly in a couple of months or so, can you ask to be referred to a dermatologist? They tend to be able to offer a wider range of treatments.

Msdj Fri 30-Jan-15 22:27:26

I have been on that specific AB for my rosacea for the past 13 years. So think it's a bit too late for me to change now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now