Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Those of you who have broken a leg in the past - I have a question for you...

(13 Posts)
TheresAcatOnMyIpad Fri 30-Jan-15 07:33:52

So I broke my leg 2 1/2 yrs ago (tibial plateau fracture) - it still aches on a daily basis. I had an arthroscopy on it 14 months ago to clear out damaged cartilage which helped a lot but I am still in pain every day. It is very mild pain, a dull ache but just gets on my wick!
I have had physio on it in the past. What are your experiences of recovery?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Jan-15 14:51:13

Tib and fib fracture 24 years ago, requiring three surgeries over 18 month period to totally fix it. Still get pains now.

o0 Fri 30-Jan-15 14:55:12

Ahhhh now you've made me think!

My leg was broken when I was 4 (so 30 years ago!) and my whole life I've had pains in that leg and I'm just realising why.

TheresAcatOnMyIpad Fri 30-Jan-15 16:11:19

Oh dear! Seems to be the norm. Probably just as well I didn't realise the long term implications when I did it or I would have been even more fed up!

SilverHawk Fri 30-Jan-15 16:19:41

I broke my leg about 20 years ago. In general it is fine but it does seem to get tired more quickly an then it aches.
I've also broken ribs and they still give me trouble more or less daily.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 30-Jan-15 19:32:10

My breaks hurt more in cold and damp weather.
So winter is fun!

fruitpastille Fri 30-Jan-15 19:37:42

I had pins and plate put in mine. It's stiffer than the other one (especially on waking) and does ache sometimes. I worry a bit about too much high impact exercise but am still pretty active - short, slow running, walking, karate. I have wondered about having the metalwork removed but worry about making it worse.

fruitpastille Fri 30-Jan-15 19:38:40

8 years ago BTW.

Justwhy Fri 30-Jan-15 19:40:06

Broke my ankle and leg 12 years ago. Aches a lot and is very stiff. Half the flex of the other ankle.

clam Fri 30-Jan-15 19:50:01

I broke mine 2 years ago. Spiral break of the tibia, plus fibula and ankle. Surgery to insert pins, plates and rod (up inside of tibia).
I thought the aches and pains would never go - in particular the feeling that I'd been kicked in the shin on regular occasions. I'm not 100% yet, in that I can't kneel (pin just under the kneecap) or run (no great loss, to be honest), but pretty much everything else is OK now.
They won't ever remove the metal work, unless it starts causing (extreme) problems.
Have just finally got rid of all the excess pounds I put on in the months when I couldn't move!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Jan-15 20:42:01

Clam from the sounds of things you had the same surgery as I did. I was in the original clinical trial where the metal work was removed, believe me that has lead to even more problems.

clam Fri 30-Jan-15 21:22:33

My brother had extensive metal work done in around 20 years ago after a bad car accident, when things were less sophisticated than now. He's had a lot of problems and is currently undergoing removal of some (for the second time) and 2 knee replacements (after knee plate had new bone growth attached to it). The rod in his thigh actually broke inside his leg! (but in fairness, we're talking many years ago!)
He has massive great scars all over, like zips, on his arms and legs. I have the tiniest neat and tidy little white marks, that have almost disappeared after two years.

Longdistance Fri 30-Jan-15 21:25:50

I broke my tib and fib about 18mo ago. I've had two metal plates and 19 pins put in.

I can feel the cold in my leg, and wear warm wooly socks and fur lined boots in the winter. I can feel the metal work in the outside of my leg, and yes as pp says it gets stiff overnight.

My bf broke her ankle, and still has problems with it, and is on loads of medication. She had metal work put in, but then it was taken out due to repeat infections, and pain.

What did help with my leg, was the physio I had, and working on the muscles in that area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: