Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How to avoid period headache

(12 Posts)
Purplehonesty Wed 28-Jan-15 16:41:49

Every month a day or so before my period I get the most awful headache. Usually starts mid afternoon and it's all I can do to crawl into bed In the dark after taking painkillers.
So this month I tried drinking loads of water in the run up to it. But here I am again with a pounding sore head and wondering what mumsnet would recommend to take/do to help in future!
TIA

StrikesMatches Wed 28-Jan-15 21:01:30

I don't know, but I suffer horribly too, so I'd love to know. At this stage, I think mine is some sort of hormonal migraine - it's my whole head, teeth, jaw, ears and it can last a week.

Coconutty Wed 28-Jan-15 21:07:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MuddlePuddle Wed 28-Jan-15 21:12:49

I take Evening Primrose oil everyday and it helps me with menstrual migraine and PMS, maybe worth a try?

Hobby2014 Wed 28-Jan-15 21:18:06

I get this too! It's awful.
No advice thought, but am watching this thread!

Tortoise Wed 28-Jan-15 21:21:45

I get menstrual migraines too. It always lasts 2 and a half days. Sometimes worse than other times, sometimes don't get the migraine at all. Wish I knew why it's not every month. They are very draining sad

Phoenixfrights Wed 28-Jan-15 21:23:15

Oh me too, and today is the day. I sympathise.

I find not much works, apart from painkillers. Sorry sad

I find anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or, failing that, something containing codeine sees it off.

this might be helpful. Factsheet from the Migraine Trust.

Purplehonesty Thu 29-Jan-15 07:29:22

Just woken up - been asleep since 6.30 last night.
I took paracetamol and codeine yesterday which just about dulled the pain enough for me to finish the kids tea and climb into bed when dh got home
Will try the evening primrose oil next month thank you

Kittykat7 Thu 29-Jan-15 09:28:16

I've been taking magnesium & my last 2 cycles I didn't get the headache/migraine.

Queenofknickers Thu 29-Jan-15 10:02:37

I get a triptans wafer on prescription - clears it in a couple of hours if lucky. Paracetamol etc doesn't do anything IME.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 29-Jan-15 13:51:47

Another magnesium taker here, it's been a revolution!

elfonshelf Thu 29-Jan-15 19:38:54

Zomig - best migraine pills I've ever found. I get the monster hormonal migraines as well.

If you are on BCP, then you can just run packs together - I used to do six packs back to back at a time: no period = no migraine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: