Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Constipated since giving birth

(23 Posts)
purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 17:54:46

This issues ruining the first weeks with my lovely newborn sad It's making me feel so rotten.

I had a second degree tear which was stitched so immediately after labour i took some lactulose. I did manage to go but my stools didn't seem normal - quite thin and unsatisfying iykwim. So i gradually came off it.

I'm now 3 weeks postpartum and I'm really struggling. I don't seem to get the urge anymore. On the few occasions I have managed to pass something it never feels 'complete'. It feels like there's always poo stuck in my rectum but my muscles don't seem to push it out anymore. I'm so uncomfortable and it's really getting me down. It feels like my muscles just aren't working. I barely get the urge to urinate anymore either - i just go when i feel i haven't been for a while to avoid infections-but i can easily go 12+ hours without needing a wee.

I'm breastfeeding so i don't know what i can take to help, and even if medication is 'safe' i worry that it can still have an effect on ds. He already suffers with terrible wind and i don't want to make it worse.

I know i really need to see a Dr. I'll make an appointment. I just thought i'd ask anonymously on here first. Any advice? sad

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 17:57:34

Oh, and when i do go the poo isn't hard, so i don't feel it's Constipation in that way.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 27-Jan-15 18:02:42

You do need to see a doctor to make sure everything is ok inside ... Are you still seeing the midwife? They might be a good first port of call.

As you're bf, are you drinking enough water? I had unquenchable thirst in those first couple of weeks. That might be a good thing to try in the meantime.

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 18:09:19

Thanks for replying. I've been signed off by the mw. She did ask about bowel movements and at that point i was still taking lactulose so i had had some, just not brilliant ones.

I'll make an appoint to see the Dr.

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 18:11:31

And yes, I've always got a glass or bottle of water on the go.

justbatteringon Tue 27-Jan-15 18:18:05

I had similar issues you just need to go to the doctor maybe get referred to gyne because my gp didn't see anything wrong but gyne doctor did.

MatildaTheCat Tue 27-Jan-15 18:21:01

Are you doing your pelvic floor exercises religiously? All of the above, too but you can improve muscle tone really quickly and effectively by doing them several times a day. I believe there is a poster on here who has lots of advice on the subject.
Fibogel will add bulk to your stool which will also help.

It will get better. And congratulations! smile

bexster5 Tue 27-Jan-15 18:30:00

I used lactulose - to begin with I was probably having a bit too much :/ but I just struggled to poo at all. I did have fibogel first time round but didn't like it so didn't keep it up or use it second time round. Started having all bran for breakfast which really helped.

Also recommend more water than you can imagine you could possibly drink!!

Definitely do the pelvic floor exercises they will really help you be able to poo / wee as well as helping you to NOT poo / wee. mine are still a bit awol :/

Oh the glamour and the delights of childbirth! !

Hope your gp helps you and you get better soon!

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 18:30:51

just what problem did they find?

Matilda I'm doing my exercises when i remember. Though tbh i'm not sure i'm actually doing them correctly.

Crunchybadger Tue 27-Jan-15 18:32:49

Ah yes, I remember this shudder. As if you don't have enough to deal with with a new baby ( and a tear) without your arse slamming shut too. You have my utmost sympathy. All the related-to-childbirth/BF arse stuff was a delightful surprise to me.

First stop, Doctor, but if they can't find anything, make sure you get a repeat prescription for lactulose.

I was on lactulose for ~6 months after little badger arrived, plus forced down lots & lots of diluted apple juice (also helps keep things moving). Absolutely do not underestimate how much liquid you need to replace when BF. Soon as the norks are called for, grab a pint of water.

And a cake.

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 19:13:21

The problem with cake crunchy is that i feel like what goes on isn't coming out so it's putting me off eating me what isn't absolutely necessary! I love cake too.

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 19:15:42

crunchy did you find the lactulose affected your dc (I'm assuming you bf after the water advice above-sorry if I've got that wrong). My ds is awfully windy and i'm paranoid that anything like that would make him worse.

Longdistance Tue 27-Jan-15 19:21:41

You need some Movicol. Are you getting much exercise ie walking much? That's really good for getting your bowels going.

I had severe piles after dd1's birth. But to cap it off I was majorly constipated before the birth, and probably didn't poop for two weeks plus blush

I was prescribed Movicol as the actualise was bloody useless. Try going back to your gp.

Congrats on the baby btw flowers

AnythingNotEverything Tue 27-Jan-15 19:26:15

Are you taking iron tablets? Sometimes women are prescribed them on discharge and they really don't help.

Crunchybadger Tue 27-Jan-15 19:48:31

Yeah I did BF (nips nearly fell off, DC refused point blank to ever take bottle, but that's another story). Hard to tell if lactulose affected DC: she was awfully shouty 11pm-3am for first few weeks but fine afterwards (well, still shouty at 7ish but slept otherwise). Also shovelled in infacol to her until ~6 months Just In Case. Another surprise about having a baby: a lot of guesswork and trial and error. That and every professional you talk to going "well, every baby's different" argh!

TBH with my arse (also comedy piles that all but incapacitated me for weeks) I really needed the lactulose - still took it even when tried to see if otherwise going vegan made DC less shouty (didn't ;)). I'm pretty sure it's quite inert stuff: the point is you don't digest it so unlikely to make it into your milk.

Best thing about BF for me was ability to eat cake and just magically burn it off!

Crunchybadger Tue 27-Jan-15 19:50:55

(also, BF good cos it's hard to accidentally leave norks at home when sleep-deprived smile)

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 19:59:40

I've got some movicol (actually laxido but i think it's the same) so i could try that.

Exercise...tbh i'm not getting any much. I've been thinking i should make more of an effort to get out and about during the day. I've mostly been doing the sitting-on-the-sofa-feeding-baby-all-day thing. Must put him in the pram and get out more.

I'm not sure anything other than time helps with the screaming thing. I just don't want to make it worse!

purplefeathers Tue 27-Jan-15 20:07:49

And no, i'm not on iron tablets.

Hobby2014 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:13:09

You need the pessaries from boots, to get things moving.
You put one up, then try to keep it up there as long as you can.
It was the best thing ever after I had my ds.
just don't go for a nap whilst one is up there, as you won't make it to the loo in time blushblushblushblush

Crunchybadger Tue 27-Jan-15 20:24:34

Oh god yes to the arse pessaries (my Dr gave me some too after my woeful post birth arse shuffle to throw myself on his mercy). One of my friends called them "magic bullets". She was absolutely right. Having never had any area-related issues before birth, I couldn't quite believe how debilitating it is when it all goes wrong. Plus you have to go and tell someone about it! And they might ask to look blush! I remember thinking the sleep deprivation was a doddle compared to the bum nonsense.

I only have 1 DC after all that wink.

Hope you get it sorted soon. Have some happy arse flowers flowers.

MatildaTheCat Tue 27-Jan-15 20:44:05

Here's a starter for pelvic floor exercises. Regular is key so perhaps every time you feed. Ten slow and strong squeezes better than fifty half efforts.
Starter Guide

purplefeathers Wed 28-Jan-15 13:01:37

Thanks everyone. Yes, pessaries are.worth a go. I hate the thought of shoving something up there but needs must.

And thanks for the pelvic floor guide. 10 is much more achievable than 50 confused I'll get on to going them more frequently.

And crunchy you do make me laugh. You have a way with words grin

Crunchybadger Wed 28-Jan-15 15:42:52

P.S. I never managed the pelvic floor exercises: my 2nd/3rd degree tear (how could they not agree how bad my chuff was! FFS) + piles = no chance of clenching owt for at least 3 months.

I should do them now I guess. Instead I have to play the sneeze-wee lottery ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now