Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ferritin levels

(16 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 27-Jan-15 17:47:59

Just back from a medical appt. Was told my ferritin level is 14, that it should be a minimum of 15 but 14 is normal for menstruating women.
Is that really true or is it a bit too low?

Behooven Tue 27-Jan-15 17:52:27

I'm no expert but I think that's at the low end of normal. Do you feel ok with it at 14?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 27-Jan-15 18:04:39

Not fab, but I've other health issues. This was a bit of an incidental finding I think. I'm going a bit bald in places but my psoriasis is a good part of the cause of that probably.

Bugsylugs Tue 27-Jan-15 18:08:06

Depends on the lab ranges here normal is from 20. However depends why you had the test done there is increasing evidence that if it is <50 and someone has symptoms mainly tiredness they may benefit from iron. Drinking orange juice with main meal helps you absorb iron from food.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 27-Jan-15 18:13:50

test done as part of a screening for gastro issues. Tiredness is an ongoing thing but expected for me.

I don't really have the energy to pursue it and I guess if the consultant wasn't worried then I shouldn't be either, but if there's an easy fix that might help with the tiredness levels then perhaps I ought to take a supplement? I do take a general multi-vit.

Behooven Tue 27-Jan-15 18:18:11

You could try Spatone which is a natural 'gentle' iron. It's good because it won't constipate you and it definitely helped me when I was getting over a bout of ill health. My hair and nails even improved which was a bonus.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 27-Jan-15 18:32:49

Cool - I will try that. Thanks smile

PoshPenny Tue 27-Jan-15 19:57:16

That is VERY low and almost certainly contributing to your symptoms. You should be over 50 and ideally 70 plus (middle of the range) to be sure that ferritin is not the problem. It would be interesting to know what your other blood results were if he thinks that's normal.

I found a very good supplement at my local health food shop called hema plex that had 85mg of elemental iron in it, along with other things like B12 and folate. That helped bring mine up from 12 to 54 in a year (so I have a way to go still). I am waiting to see gastroenterologist because of suspected absorption issues.

DustBunnyFarmer Tue 27-Jan-15 20:05:44

Mine was bumping around the bottom of normal range like yours a few years ago. My GP explained that the ferritin is your iron stores, which are used to build haemoglobin. She said at that end of the range a menstrual period can wipe you out and drop your ferritin below the acceptable bottom of range. I don't get on with ferrous sulphate, but ferrous fumarate (slightly more expensive for your GP to prescribe) is often tolerated better by people who don't get on with ferrous sulphate. As with Beehoven, I found Spatone was much easier to tolerate than the prescribed iron and didn't stuff up my bowels.

Another thing to avoid is drinking tea with meals, as the tannin impedes iron absorption - my school friend's mum (NHS dietician) told me that. Apparently a clear hour either side of meals is best, but I don't know how you can hit adequate tea levels over the course of the day with those kind of limitations.

chocnomorechoc Wed 28-Jan-15 06:57:25

the normal range is 15-290. it is huge. my ferritin is 20 (iron count normal) and I feel awful; extreme fatigue. on iron tablets now and getting better. GP recons it should be at least 70-90 to feel ok. 14 is very low.

I am taking ferrous sulphate 200mg twice a day. over the counter from the pharmacy. I don't have side effects.

hellsbells99 Wed 28-Jan-15 07:12:13

DD's was 4.6 so she is taking iron tablets 3 times a day plus eating spinach, water cress, lots of red meat, orange juice with meals etc. it has gone up to 9 but she is still very tired a lot of the time.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 28-Jan-15 08:43:31

I'm really glad I asked. I have no idea what my other results were. People comment that I look pale. So off to the chemist I go then!

Dustbunny, that could be an issue at breakfast wink

ELR Wed 28-Jan-15 09:48:29

Have you been tested for coeliac? If it came back negative I would question and maybe even try a gluten free diet.
Sure there is done sort of link with anemia/ psoriasis and gastro issues

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 28-Jan-15 11:37:10

I was tested for coeliac including a biopsy.
The link seems to be NSAIDs for psoriatic arthritis =gastritis= feeling crap.

I picked up some floradix, cos the herbs sounded nice! Tastes ok.

RockinD Wed 28-Jan-15 12:34:34

Your ferritin is below range and your doctor is not concerned? I despair. As others have said, it needs to be at least 70, or mid-range, whichever is the higher, to support all sorts of processes in the body. Below that level you will have symptoms of pallor and fatigue and probably hair loss as well.

You need a serious iron supplement. Hema plex is a good one if you can find it. At this level you may find Spatone and Floradix ineffective, simply because it is too much of a job for them.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 28-Jan-15 13:16:20

He wasn't at all and I had no idea what the normal range is, otherwise I would have questioned it. He said it was normal for menstruating women. I think that maybe I need to see my gp yet again because I did tell him my gastro problems get worse when it's my period. He asked if I'd spoken to my gp about that, I have but she said it would be interesting to see what he had to say. It's so frustrating. I've become one of those patients that my gp must dread. I'll wait a couple of weeks so that I know she has his letter and ask for an overall review.

I def have hair loss, my hairdresser has commented on it.

I honestly don't think there's anything seriously wrong with me, I'm just sure that I shouldn't be feeling this rubbish. I know I'm not right. I'm taking an astonishingly rare duvet day today apart from a couple of hours work this evening as I'm feeling so fed up with everything and headachy and pathetically sorry for myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: