Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Propranolol and herbal sleeping pills

(13 Posts)
whatadrain Sat 24-Jan-15 16:48:09

Long story short - I'm exhausted.

I've been taking 40mg of propranolol for heart palpitations and it's been working a treat. However, ever since I've been taking it I've barely slept. Out of desperation, I bought some herbal sleeping tablets (Hops, Valerian, Passion flower) but the leaflet says to avoid taking them with beta blockers.

I can't find anything online that explains why or what the effect would be. Would it really be so bad?

MagpieCursedTea Sat 24-Jan-15 16:54:34

I don't know the specific reason in this case. However I wouldn't discount drug interactions just because one of the drugs is a herbal remedy, they can be just as potent as regular medication. I do sympathise about the insomnia though, what has your doctor said about it?

FeelTheNoise Sat 24-Jan-15 16:54:56

I'm watching with interest as I've taken kalms with beta blockers before

whatadrain Sat 24-Jan-15 17:12:31

I will see my GP but I don't want to waste the OOH GP's time because I'm tired.

Honestly, I can't go until Monday without sleep. I don't think anything dire will happen, I just want to know what the risk is! If I find out I will update.

Mostlyjustaluker Sat 24-Jan-15 17:16:59

Go and speak to a pharmacist at a chemist. They will be the best person to answer your query.

Mostlyjustaluker Sat 24-Jan-15 17:17:45

Sleeping meds are only designed to be a short term solution.

MerdeAlor Sat 24-Jan-15 20:05:36

How about trying an anti histamine instead? The ones without the stimulants can help with sleep as can travel anti sickness tablets.

MerdeAlor Sat 24-Jan-15 20:07:38

Not sure if you can get phenergan without a prescription but if you can, buy those. They are heavy duty anti histamines that have a strong sedative effect. You can take them 90 minutes before bed.

whatadrain Sat 24-Jan-15 20:47:38

Antihistamine is a brilliant idea - I have some Phenergan. I know it's not a proper solution but I just need something in the interim until I can get an appointment. Thank you so much! grin

MerdeAlor Mon 26-Jan-15 08:50:58

Glad to help smile

Reredos Mon 26-Jan-15 21:36:00

The heart palpitations and not sleeping could be related. I had both last year and discovered that I was hyper-thyroid. It might be worth having a blood test to check.

threeshoes Mon 26-Jan-15 21:48:42

I was once misprescribed the wrong dose of propranolol. The doctor got it wrong - several mega-dose slow release in the course of each day rather than several low-dose shots. The pharmacist didn't notice.

It turned out that my not sleeping was my body's defence to stop me dying. The doctor realised when I went back for the repeat prescription, turned white, and apologised a lot.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but do double -check you are taking the right dose if you are not sleeping.

whatadrain Tue 27-Jan-15 17:07:28

Wow threeshoes that is scary!!

I've got to go back next week anyway so I will mention it then - thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: