Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

If you have a private diagnosis what happens wrt NHS treatment? Rheumatoid arthritis:-(

(3 Posts)
dottytablecloth Sat 24-Jan-15 10:50:50

I have suspected rheumatoid arthritis shown up in a blood test.

I'm waiting for an appointment with rheumatology to confirm it, I suppose.

Anyway I could be waiting weeks or months for this appointment.

If I have a private diagnosis am I able to be referred back to NHS for treatment? Can't afford private treatment as it's a lifelong condition if I do have it.

Anyone know how this works?

MatildaTheCat Sat 24-Jan-15 12:01:03

Yes,indeed you can. You should get copies of all the tests you have done privately which you can take to your GP ( who should have them anyway) who can then make you an nhs referral. If you have liked the private rheumatologist you could be referred to the same person.

ej23 Sat 24-Jan-15 12:02:54

Hi, that shouldn't pose a problem. I had a private appmnt last year as like you didn't want to wait 3 months. Was then able to see same Professional on the NHS. Thought I may have RA but no conclusive diagnosis other than post viral condition.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: