Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Borderline smear with HPV

(10 Posts)
LBNM19 Fri 23-Jan-15 17:39:02

I've just had my first smear test I have 2 children and I'm 24.

My first smear has come back with boderline changes and evidence of a hpv virus.

Worrried sick been referred for concloscopy anyone else had a similar experience?

Any reply much appericated.

Natalie x

LBNM19 Sat 24-Jan-15 14:51:32

Bump

CateBlanket Sat 24-Jan-15 14:57:29

The colposcopy is a painless procedure to see if the cell changes in your cervix need some straightforward treatment. Probably won't be necessary as the smear showed borderline changes so will probably go back to normal within 6 months.

Certain strains of HPV can - over the course of many years - cause cervical cancer. However, it's a very common virus and tends to go away of its own accord. So basically, you're under the care of NHS now and anything that could have developed into something more sinister has been caught in time.

sksk Sat 24-Jan-15 14:58:37

Hi,
I had this too. Since they brought in the HPV test, anyone with borderline changes is referred for a colposcopy rather than have 3 abnormal smears before a colposcopy. I was very worried too, but it turned out to be ok. I had the colposcopy and the doctor took some biopsies but it was all normal when the results came back. It is better that they do the colposcopy, I feel, as you don't have the uncertainty of having to have smear tests at intervals-the biopsy gives a clearer picture. If it is ok, you just go back to regular smears. If there is any change, you either have treatment or have more regular smear tests. There are guidelines that they follow for this.
I know how you feel-I was very worried, too but much relived after it came back ok and the colposcopy and biopsies were not as bad as I thought they would be.
Don't worry too much (I know that is easier said than done). Best of luck!

CateBlanket Sat 24-Jan-15 15:00:09

So, try not to worry ~ easier said than done, I know smile]

CateBlanket Sat 24-Jan-15 15:02:50

I sounded like I was echoing sksk in my second post! And I meant to do a smile

LBNM19 Sun 25-Jan-15 00:14:51

Thanks for replying I also have an anxiety disorder which doesn't help...but do feel reassured by things I've read. Xx

nooka Sun 25-Jan-15 00:32:08

I had a borderline smear six years ago (before HPV tests) and was supposed to go back a year later (or maybe six months I forget). Anyway I didn't go back because I emigrated and what with one thing and another didn't have another smear for five years. Had another smear six months ago, all clear.

I remember talking to a GP friend of mine about it at the time as I was worried, and she was very reassuring. I'd also agree that having the follow up test now will put your mind at ease rather than having a longer period before you get the all clear. Plus if there is something to address it will be picked up very early so likely to be easily treatable.

LBNM19 Sun 25-Jan-15 20:03:51

Thanks for replying. Reassuring knowing yours sent back to normal x

Tmrgl Sun 25-Jan-15 20:31:58

I had abnormal smears and colcoscopy - 20 years ago - painless but uncomfortable no further problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: