Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Had a Light Bulb Moment

(6 Posts)
youngatheart1 Fri 23-Jan-15 15:41:31

I have been posting on all sorts of sites asking anyone if they have dizziness, jittery feelings, headaches, sweats etc, etc, docs think I am mad, have convinced myself I am missing some sort of vitamin, but I now wonder - first if I explain I drink a lot of coffee, proper coffee I have one of these espresso coffee makers and make at least 3 a day plus 1 costa at work each day, weekends I can have 3 in a morning, so yesterday about 5pm made a coffee and then later in evening felt my usual buzzy feeling, gone this morning, had costa at work usual guy lost his train of thought and put 3 shots in my small mug, lovely and strong but within 30 minutes of having it the buzzy feeling is back, I have hot flashes anyway but have noticed within minutes of having coffee I have a flush. I have drunk cappucino coffees for years and had these symptoms for years, but recently palpitations are getting worse, am I imagining it or could coffee really be making me feel so bad. I am going to try to go without a coffee with weekend and see what happens. Any thoughts greatly appreciated

maleenteringfemalefacilities Fri 23-Jan-15 15:44:37

You will have a caffeine withdrawal headache 24-36 hours in! Make sure you have lots of water to drink and painkillers to hand.

I noticed since I went caffeine free (decaf tea, I don't drink coffee) I sleep much better - i.e. I feel tired earlier in the evening - I don't have artificial energy keeping me going - so I hit the hay at a normal time, and I sleep deeper.

CiderwithBuda Fri 23-Jan-15 15:44:52

Could be. Be prepared for headaches if you cut it out completely though.

I've got more sensitive to caffeine as I've gotten older and can't have a coffee after about four pm or I can't sleep. Tea is not too bad but can't have tea after about 7pm.

PurpleWithRed Fri 23-Jan-15 15:46:14

If you come off caffeine you might experience some withdrawal symptoms - headaches and general weirdness were mine. But they will pass. Sounds like you are drinking an awful lot of caffeine.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 23-Jan-15 15:53:01

I remember Caitlin Moran writing something very much like your OP a while ago - yes, sounds like you're overdoing the caffeine. If you can't face cold turkey, try switching to tea (and then not after about 6pm unless decaff).

youngatheart1 Fri 23-Jan-15 15:53:39

Thanks for your quick replies, yes I do suffer crazy headaches even had a brain scan last year just to put mind at rest. I did not have my usual 8ish coffee last night as I had it earlier and yes I did sleep a lot better, I can cope with the headaches etc short term just to get rid of this weird jittering. Do not know why I did not think of this earlier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: