Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ATTENTION - 30% of all women will have this health problem

(8 Posts)
jiggy100 Thu 22-Jan-15 20:23:41

I would like to raise awareness of a condition huge numbers of women will suffer in their lifetime. Prolapse of the womb, bladder or bowel. In fact 30% of women will need corrective surgery for prolapses. Every women needs to be armed with the knowledge of the consequences of Prolapses so they can help themselves to stay fit and healthy.
I am recovering from an Anterior and Posterior prolapse repair operation which I had on 17th December. Not a pleasant operation to say the least! I will need at least 6 weeks recovery time. I knew nothing whatsoever about this condition and was not aware of the huge numbers of ladies who suffer with this sensitive and embarrassing problem.
On researching this topic I soon discovered that by constantly doing pelvic floor exercises throughout my life I could have helped to prevent this upsetting condition. After childbirth I was told to do pelvic floor exercises to prevent stress incontinence but was never informed about how vitally important all the pelvic floor muscles are to my continuing health.

The NHS could save millions of pounds and women would be happier and healthier as a result if we were better informed.

Why are we not constantly reminded about the importance of pelvic floor exercises throughout our life? When we go for smear tests nurses could remind us.There could be posters up at doctors surgeries and any other prominent public areas which would make women more aware of these vital exercises. Physiotherapists could hold women's pelvic floor exercise classes where this topic is discussed, thus putting it in the forefront of women's consciousness.
Women basically have a design fault in their anatomy. The bladder, bowel and womb are all held up by strong pelvic floor muscles. If you have had babies, lifted lots of heavy weights throughout our life or have gone through the menopause then pelvic floor muscles will have become weaker and therefore need strengthening. As soon as these muscles fail then BIG TROUBLE!
Take a look on the internet at images of a full prolapse and you will be clenching those pelvic floor muscles everyday! It is amazing how many women live with this problem and do nothing about it. They suffer in silence.
So if you want to prevent this condition happening to you

3BloodyKids Thu 22-Jan-15 20:25:25

um, but we are constantly reminded confused

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 22-Jan-15 20:26:09

Say again?

Sparklingbrook Thu 22-Jan-15 20:28:14

5 threads all the same......

FishWithABicycle Thu 22-Jan-15 20:33:10

5 threads the same indeed - and if we keep them all active and each do a couple of dozen squeezes each time we see one in active conversations, we'll all have better pelvic floor health.

SheThinksShesPeople Thu 22-Jan-15 20:39:58

The only reason I'm not living with my cervix sat in my knickers is because I paid over £4k for a private operation. According to my consultant it was 'cosmetic'.

I knew about pelvic floor but I didn't realise quite how important it was. It was mentioned during pregnancy along with eating healthily, gentle exercise etc but if I had been told my fanny would fall out if I didn't do it I may have paid more attention.

clarella Thu 22-Jan-15 22:12:23
It's worth looking at some of Katy Bowmans stuff on this (I'm not sure this is exactly the right link though.)

She talks about the importance of squatting for pelvic floors too.

clarella Thu 22-Jan-15 22:38:34

She does a "down there" app for women and a dvd. Not looked at it yet but I might well do now!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now