Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice. I think I have thrush

(12 Posts)
Littlef00t Thu 22-Jan-15 20:10:44

Itchy 'down there'. Inside of inner flaps would be the 'technical' term not. Does this sound right? First time, would rather not see the doc but I'm breastfeeding dd 10mo.

Also DH might have it too oops.

Am I right do you think? Do I need to make a doctors appt?

gatewalker Thu 22-Jan-15 20:18:17

Do you need to see a doc? Won't some clotrimazole cream suffice?

gatewalker Thu 22-Jan-15 20:19:49

OP, go to your nearest chemist and ask for a clotrimazole cream (Canesten and the like) -- that's your first port of call.

Nextwednesday Thu 22-Jan-15 20:21:13

Does it look like cottage cheese?

pigwitch Thu 22-Jan-15 20:21:47

Canesten pessaries are the only thing that helped me when I had thrush. Buy it over the counter.

MinceSpy Thu 22-Jan-15 20:27:06

The oral tablet is excellent for dealing with your thrush but you need to check with doctor or pharmacist. Hubby will need the cream. You need to get it checked out as you may well pass it to your baby because your are bfing.

niqnet1 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:19:10

Fluconazole for hubby and pessery and cream for you. You aren't meant to take fluconazole whilst breastfeeding as a small amount passes to baby but I had thrush bad enough that doctor let me take it.

Littlef00t Fri 23-Jan-15 21:43:05

Thanks guys, gonna have a chat with the pharmacist tomorrow.

Only a v low level itch now. Am I kidding myself that it might just go away?

Discharge no different than usual.

firstposts Fri 23-Jan-15 21:45:28

I wasn't allowed caneston when breast feeding. I asked the pharmacist not the doctor though.

KnackeredMerrily Sat 24-Jan-15 14:17:47

You need to treat you and your dh or he will pass it back

AnotherEmma Sat 24-Jan-15 14:20:29

If there is no discharge it might not be thrush. If it's not thrush the creams and pessaries will do more harm than good. Book an appt with the nurse, she will do an examination and swab. She can also advise you on best treatment as you're breastfeeding.

Littlef00t Sun 25-Jan-15 15:25:45

Gah thanks everyone. I'm big on sticking my head in the sand esp as itch not so bad. Still not seen anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now