Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Menstrual headache

(6 Posts)
Whoopsydo Thu 22-Jan-15 18:46:45

Hi, I have been getting really bad headaches either in the run up or during my period for a while. This cycle my period started on Sunday , and for the last 3 nights I've had a thumping headache like I've been hit by a baseball bat. It's only on one side, at the back of my head. My scalp on that side is tender too. It's been so bad I've taken paracetamol and nurofen together (I don't usually take painkillers) and they don't get rid of it. I haven't had nausea/ aura or any other symptoms. Will go to GP but wondering if this is likely to be a migraine? Does anyone get similar headaches around their period and any suggestions of how you have prevented / treated them? Thanks!

MrsSquirrel Fri 23-Jan-15 10:35:28

Yes that sounds like a migraine. You have my sympathies. I get migraines and they are awful.

It's not unusual for migraines to be linked to women's cycles. Here is a factsheet about it.

Definitely go to the GP about them. He or she will be able to prescribe you something more effective than those OTC painkillers.

shumway Fri 23-Jan-15 10:38:01

You can get liquorice root capsules from the health food shop eg Holland and Barratt to help with this.

Marlinspike Fri 23-Jan-15 10:46:49

OK, not sure if this is entirely related - but I suffered with headaches like this for years - always around my period, and mid cycle. They were excrutiatingly painful and painkillers didn't work. I have been loosely following the 5:2 diet for nearly a year now, and in that time I've only had 3 relatively mild headaches (which I think were probably alcohol induced!). I have no idea why; I haven't read of anyone experiencing similar on a fasting diet, but it has made a huge positive difference to my life.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 23-Jan-15 11:00:26

I would be asking the GP for a referral to a consultant gynae as the two may well be linked. Treating the symptoms is fine but you need to find the underlying cause as well.

Kittykat7 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:01:44

I've been taking magnesium for 5 months & my last 2 cycles I didn't get a headache/ migraine. My cycles have shortened though so not sure if that's affected things. I am 44 years old My last 2 cycles havd been after 23 days. I used to be 28-30 days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: