Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What are my options now?

(15 Posts)
perfectpeach Thu 22-Jan-15 17:51:36

Hi all

I posted a while back and was advised to get my thyroid checked to find out if that was behind my crippling exhaustion.

I have since developed more symptoms
I look six months pregnant at times I am so bloated
my weight has soared and I am nearly 2 dress sizes bigger than I was at the beginning of autumn
disturbed sleep every night
late periods then very heavy
I have gone completely off meat
still exhausted

The Dr thought it sounded like I was pregnant, though no chance of that. He sent me for full bloods and everything came back clear apart from vitamin D deficiency for which they are writing me a prescription for Vit D and I have to be rechecked in 6 weeks

Are all those symptoms really down to a lack of vitamin D?

What do I do now? Just take the Vit D and take it from there? Or are there other tests I can push for?

I am being driven insane by tiredness and not a single good nights sleep in nearly a year

Any help will be very gratefully received, thank you

RubySparks Thu 22-Jan-15 17:54:25

Hi Peach did you get tested for coeliac disease? I was very very tired before diagnosis and it came with low vit D too.

NCIS Thu 22-Jan-15 17:55:56

Apart from the meat thing I had those symptoms, high dose Vit D had got rid of them and I was losing weight but I stupidly stopped taking them and some of the symptoms have returned, really must get into the habit of taking them regularly.

bilbodog Thu 22-Jan-15 18:02:23

don't want to cause alarm but have you been checked for ovarian cancer? I know from a couple of friends that it is easily overlooked but in both cases they thought they had put on weight. I believe a blood test can be done in the first instance to show up if anything untoward is going on.

chocnomorechoc Thu 22-Jan-15 18:42:12

I second a gyn referral & scan of your ovaries/womb.

perfectpeach Thu 22-Jan-15 18:48:51

no, a test for coeliac disease wasn't mentioned. Not been checked for ovarian cancer. I did see the Dr a few weeks ago about lumps in my breast but wouldn't refer me due to my age, too young for breast cancer to be likely apparently. I am 35

chocnomorechoc Thu 22-Jan-15 18:52:36

that is nonsense. any lump should be checked out. I would go back to demand a referral. you should really be seen within 2 weeks of referral. Can you see another GP? otherwise even change surgery.

perfectpeach Thu 22-Jan-15 19:23:10

You're right, I felt it was ridiculous at the time not to be referred but didn't have the energy to do anything about it. I still have the lump but the dr said a cancerous lump would be rough, the lump I have is smooth. But with all these extra symptoms now I really need to get myself sorted out and find out what is wrong with me

chocnomorechoc Thu 22-Jan-15 19:42:11

chances are it is nothing but you really need a scan.... you cannot rule out BC that way.

RockinD Thu 22-Jan-15 20:00:01

"Everything came back clear". Never let any medic tell you that!

Go back and ask for a print out of your test results with the reference range. Look for anything within range but at one end or the other.

By example I once had this ferritin result 16(15-150) which the NHS told me was fine. Needless to say it is not.

Depending which results are out of kilter, either find a forum or list them on here, but get that breast lump checked out. I think that comes first.

paxtecum Thu 22-Jan-15 20:06:31

Candidiasis can cause exhaustion and massive bloating.
It is too much yeast in the guts.

I hope you get answers soon.

CPtart Thu 22-Jan-15 20:29:04

My first thought was ovarian cancer too ( not to alarm you). Ca125 is the blood test for this. Are your smears up to date??

perfectpeach Thu 22-Jan-15 20:41:24

I am due my next smear tomorrow, so I will soon know if anything is amiss

ConfusedInBath Fri 23-Jan-15 06:28:26

I would see a different GP if possible and ask for the lumpy one seen. 35 is not to young for BC! What a stupid thing to say!

perfectpeach Mon 26-Jan-15 07:01:09

I am going to get in to see a different Dr this week. I have taken the first megadose of vit d but feel no better. Tired, no energy. Now to add to my.list of symptoms, I am starving but have no desire to eat anything, I just force it down. Just feeling so bleurgh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: