Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

persistent cough and mammogram

(5 Posts)
knickernicker Thu 22-Jan-15 15:39:54

My MIL has recently had a scan because of a persistent cough. She has had a phone call, I think from the consultant she saw for the scan, asking her to go for a mammogram in early February. She says he wouldn't tell her why but said a letter would be in the post confirming the appointment.
How concerned should we be given the time frame from scan to mammogram? I'd appreciate it if anyone is able to enlighten me. Thanks

knickernicker Thu 22-Jan-15 15:41:48

To add, the cough is a lot better after months. She is otherwise in good health for late 70s.

headhole Fri 23-Jan-15 01:33:19

I'm not a doctor, but know that all sorts of stuff can turn up on scans. I went for a brain scan for violent headaches and they found a hole in my skull. The scan chap asked, a la Columbo, just as I was about to go: have you ever had brain surgery? Er…no. Then he pointed out the hole.

A later referral showed it to be quite a common hole that I could get sorted out if I wanted, but as it had nothing to do with the headaches (sinusitis as it happens), I left it.

With mammograms I had to go back once for further scan because of something they'd seen on the first that was entirely innocent on the second scan.

Back to your MIL, plainly something has caught their attention and I'd say they're following up and it's as likely to be nothing to be worried about as anything.

pinkfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 08:29:32

A persistent cough when there is no other reason for it, can be a sign of cancer- it's listed as a symptom along with odd bleeding, weight loss etc etc.

If anything had showed up on the scan ( what did they scan?) then she'd have been sent to the breast clinic asap- the rule is within 2 weeks I think, or sooner.

We need to know what the scan was for- was it her lungs or her breasts?

pinkfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 08:30:35

Here

NHS Signs of cancer

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: